What to eat

Replies
Views
Nurse

Really struggling with what to eat.  5 weeks post ostomy.  Worried about what I am putting in my mouth.  Really want to eat salad and raw veggies. Oh and pizza.

Audrey Warren

This question answered many times.   Look under Collections or Trending.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,522 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CrappyColon

Pizza is on the soft foods list. Toppings you’re worried about? Go with plain cheese or a meat if you’re not a vegetarian and go from there. 

AlexT

Well, eat pizza then. Eat very small amounts of veggies and salad, drinks lots of liquids. Enjoy, it’s not that complicated and you’ll fine tune it as you go. 

JVM261

Some people on here say they drink one can a day of the regular V8 juice to get veggies in. Maybe it wasn’t once a day maybe it was once in a while. When you feel like it. I know it’s a struggle. I’m starting out too. Just a few months here… You can get some good low fiber recipes. Look online. I started Putting in baby carrots in the pressure cooker, I put it 10 minutes on high and I really like them better than raw.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
LJB222

Hiiiii, I would advise listening to your body. I have tried different foods and sadly suffered as a consequence; however, that’s not to say the same will happen to you. We are all unique and have different anatomies and tolerances- I am very restricted and have supplements overnight; however, it doesn’t stop me from feeling grateful for the foods I can eat and taste. Take your time and good luck 😁

JVM261

I wanted to add that vegetables are so hard even cooked a lot of the time. I love the carrots, but I see the pieces in my bag after cooked soft even. I know of somebody that’s had the bag And she eats meat, lots, and it’s better for her. I don’t know if I can do it eat mostly meat long term. I’ve heard about juicing vegetables and making sure you get all the pulp out. You have to strain it out. But I’ve heard that is also good for ileostomy. I haven’t tried that yet with this ileostomy, but I have done the V8. I do a smoothie once in a while but it’s fruit based it’s a banana cantaloupe melon, smoothie with ice and plant milk no sugar. I guess you could add maybe a little spinach. Blend up real good.