Beans

Replies
Views
chopperandme710

I am new to iliostomy whi I have named Oliver. 

I am curious if anyone eats beans and is it a problem for iliostomies ?

Ben38

Yes and have done for over 30 problem free years as with all foods just try a small amount at first and see how it goes it's the only way  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,527 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Axl

As above ☝️

Jayne

Hello,

Fresh runner beans and green beans work for me - However, dried and subsequently soaked and then single - or double cooked beans of this type, do not; neither do canned bake beans suit me.  As these 'preserved' beans [and peas and lentils too] seem to cause generation of gas as they digest within my small bowl - but as many folk will say - it is different for all of us - and IMHO IS VERY MUCH DEPENDENT UPON THE mix OF FOOD STUFF S THAT YOU HAVE IN YOUR DIET.

juST TRY THINGS - ONE AT A TIME AND ASSESS AS YOU GO.

wHOOPS - SORRY, JUST SEEN CAPITAL LETTERS - 

nOT SHOUTING OR INTENDING TO EMPHASISE .

gOOD LUCK IN TESTING OUT WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.

Best Wishes [seems the caps lock has stayed off now lol

Waves from the hills in UK

Jayne

Morning glory

I can usually eat green beans. Dry beans are a no for me. Everyone  is different ; so maybe give them a try.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
amymariefred

I find that canned beans and the like are much more easily digested if they are cooked way longer than suggested. I pressure cook every kind now, followed by a mashing afterwards. I find that refried pinto beans are better than refried black beans (because there are less rogue whole beans) for me. Green beans don’t cause issues for me if cooked well. Try small amounts at first. 

TerryLT

Yes to all beans for me, dried and soaked, then cooked, fresh, frozen, canned, whatever.  The key for me is chewing everything really well, and drink lots of liquids.

Terry

Mysterious Mose

I stay away from green beans due to the insoluble fiber and the fact that I don't care for them unless they are fresh from the garden. And the former outweighs the latter. I have no problems with pinto beans and black beans, other than the gas they produce. Haven't tried lima beans or kidney beans since the ileostomy.

Your mileage may vary. :-)

Daniel

infinitycastle52777

I have recently started eating french style green beans with no problems. I have not tried other kinds of beans. I miss baked beans and other kinds of beans.

Lee

October22
Reply to Ben38

I’ve had an ileostomy for a year and continue to be a cautious eater. I worry about the skins on beans. Shortly after my surgery, my surgeon recommended refried beans, which don’t have skins. They come in a can and look like dog food but I’ve come to like them combined with rice and with cheese melted on top.

Bertha

Ileostomy here.  I rarely eat green beans, but when I do, they are always well cooked.  I eat all types of canned beans, have even eaten baked beans straight out of the can 😂 and not had a problem, but beans do tend to thicken my output. I also eat kidney beans, butter beans, etc, that I myself cook, I soak them first and cook them well. Generally, I now eat anything except spinach unless it's baby spinach.

CocoRose

Start small and see how ya do. I can eat any kind of beans as long as they are well cooked/chewed. HOWEVER...I NEVER, EVER eat them for DINNER any more 'cause the gas will invariably blow up my bag at night, more than once, when I'm sleeping, and almost always results in me having to do multiple loads (s**t loads, I call them)of laundry (bedding, etc), well into the next day. It just isn't worth it, and no beans are worth setting my alarm for 1:00 a.m. just so I can "fart" my bag! They're great for lunch, though. My two cents.

Mysterious Mose
Reply to CocoRose

I never worry about gas at night. Being a 75 year old male that drinks a lot of water, night time trips to the loo are part of life. And also a perfect time to burp my bag. 🥸

Daniel