Weight gain protein drinks

Replies
Views
Robroy67

Hi everyone

First time posting.

I am 8 weeks post surgery and am looking for ways to put on weight. I am eating well considering the extent of my surgery. I have an Ileo and partial gastrectomy. I have tried Fortisip and Ensure but both give me diarrhoea. Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

warrior

Hello there welcome ..right now what is your weight ?? and what is your goal as far as gaining weight? 

remember any amount of excessively weight could affect your Mounting  plate and cause leaks so just think about that

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,527 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Neither of those drinks you’ve tried are for gaining weight, they’re for adding protein and supplements. You need to Google actual weight gainer supplements that give you lots of calories, upwards of 2000 per drink. 

aTraveler

During the course of my illness, I lost a lot of weight. While in the hospital, I was told I needed lots of protein to promote healing. Ensure was added to my meals, unfortunately it caused vomiting. Instead I would try to eat meat and anything containing protein on my plate. I could not eat a lot before getting full. The surgeon was monitoring my nutrient level and said it was not improving. He finally said I needed calories so eat any thing including junk food. I started eating the pudding and ice cream that was supplied with my meals -- this was considered junk food by the surgeon. I slowly began to gain weight.

AlexT
Reply to aTraveler

Yes, protein is key for healing but doesn’t do much for gaining weight. Most hospitals have a contract with Ensure or some sort of supplement drink, that’s why they get pushed onto patients. They do help but their taste leaves a lot to be desired IMO. 

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
TerryLT

A sure fire way to gain weight is to increase your sugar intake, although this not a healthy option, it does work.  If you have a sweet tooth, I guess you could indulge yourself, just temporarily until you gain the desired amount of weight.  Another thought.  When my husband was getting cancer treatment and losing weight, his doctor recommended one of those weight gain drinks, and it was extremely high in sugar, but it did contain lots of nutrients as well.  Maybe ask a pharmacist what they would recommend as I know the stuff he was buying wasn't available in regular grocery stores.

Terry

kittybou

Gummy bears worked for me! My dear friend sent me a 5 lb bag of them from Amazon. Worked great! 😸

infinitycastle52777

I drink Boost but for the nutrients not to gain weight. But I find it easier to digest then ensure or gulcerna. 

Lee

JVM261

It’ll happen overtime I went down to 98 pounds and I was in the 140s 150s before. I read somewhere and I don’t know if this is accurate, but I felt like it was the case for me that the ileostomy increases metabolism. But only for period of time. I ate a lot of steak a lot of chicken. White rice really puts the weight on. Maybe try a Rice based protein shake? I also talked about boiled plantains before on here and they come out heavy in the bag, but they can be heavy on you too. When you do the shake try to add also a tablespoon of peanut butter and blend. Peanut butter put on the weight but it’s sticky in the bag if you have too much. I always get the one with no sugar, creamy. 

w30bob

Hi Rob,

That seems like an odd question to ask.  I mean if you had a partial gastrectomy then you really shouldn't be trying to gain weight by drinking, but rather by increasing your calories with solid food.  I don't have any of my stomach missing, but I would think a PG would cause your stomach to empty much quicker, which would certainly cause diarrhea if liquids were involved.  And liquids dumped quickly into the small bowel of someone with an ileo will wind up just flushing out what's already there and filling your bag.  I'd think you'd be better off only drinking like 30 minutes after a meal and never during, and focus on more calorie dense food rather than liquid calories. 

Personally, I've found it hard to gain weight, but can do it if I don't drink during meals and leave at least 4 hours between meals for complete (or as complete as it's gonna be) digestion to occur.  Now I'm just assuming your pyloric sphincter was removed as part of the gastrectomy. If it was then fats won't get to stay in your stomach as long as needed to be fully broken down for digestion.......and releasing those into our small bowel won't help the digestion situation.  So if that's the case you might want to reduce your fat intake as well.  I'm thinking a good dietician would go a long way here. 

Was any of your Duodenum removed with the part of your stomach....or is it fully intact?  If any was removed you need to find out what the nutrients you can no longer absorb are and figure out how to get them....ie, orally or sublingually.  Weight gain may be challenging for you, as it is for some of us on here.......so you probably need to get some help with that.  But you'll need to understand how your new digestive system has changed........and then optimize for those changes.  And I doubt it will be as simple as drinking this drink or that one........if you know what I mean.  Your Gastro should be able to point you in the direction of a good dietician that works with IBD patients rather than diabetes patients.  I think (hope) what you're calling diarrhea is really just liquid rushing thru your small bowel.  Diarrhea would involve irritation of the bowel and is much worse......because then nothing gets absorbed, solid or liquid.  Remember that without a colon most of the liquid you drink is going to end up in your bag, as it can't be absorbed.  Your small bowel can absorb some........but it's no colon by a long shot.  Keep us updated.     

;O)

ron in mich

Hi Rob have you tried adding fiber to your diet to thicken up your output, and slowing it down allowing you to get more nutrients out of it.

AlexT

Eat a couple of these a week….  

Mysterious Mose

I used this stuff:

TerryLT
Reply to AlexT

Oh yes please!!!

Justbreathe
Reply to AlexT

Dang Alex, now you’ve got me to drooling…no Beachboy, Iggie, or warrior no smarticus comments about age-related drooling thank you very much, it’s all about the CHOCOLATE!!!

CrappyColon

This is what my dietician had me try for a while when I was kinda willing to still drink shakes. I finally stopped dropping weight after 2 years. They put me on the whatever I feel like eating, eat it, diet. I will get sick if I eat something with too much sugar. I’ve eaten a lot of ice cream.   I was up every 3 hrs for a while to eat. I keep snacks everywhere so I don’t have an excuse not to eat (Dr ordered 😉). I started doing half a cup of steamed whole milk/half a cup of coffee at home and latte if out for more calories/protein. 

https://shop.katefarms.com/collections/shop-all-medical-nutrition?tw_source=google&tw_adid=685070876847&tw_campaign=20835128589&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_ren1tGyhAMVcDbUAR30Lwt7EAAYASAEEgIoJfD_BwE

amymariefred

I have food sensitivity issues and can’t do dairy. I used Only What You Need (OWYN) before, during and after recovery. They have 20g protein and 32g protein options in powder or ready made in bottles. They are really tasting in the ready made type and the powder is a bit gritty. They are a lot more expensive because they are allergen friendly. I’ve also used Truvani powder which is pretty tasty.  Could you get a consult with a dietitian?

https://liveowyn.com/

7dragonflies.hm

I'm having the same problem with being able to gain weight. With an ileo it seems like nothing stays in for very long. I'm adding heavy cream to stuff - coffee, yogurt drinks, milk and even drinking it by itself. I don't know if it's helping really but it sure is delicious.

mintontelecom

I just had my ileostomy during emergency surgery, January 12th. While I was in the hospital, my Doctor ordered me. Something called Boost very high-calorie. It is 530 Calories in 22 g of protein. I didn't care for the chocolate, but the strawberry is not bad.

Wishing you all the best!

w30bob

Hmmm...........I think maybe you guys might be missing the point just a bit.  He's not just an ileostomate........he's had a partial gastrectomy as well.  That means they've removed part of his stomach, and it's usually the lower end that's involved and removed.  So that means he no longer has his pyloric sphincter, which is the valve (muscle) that controls when the stomach empties its contents into the small bowel (duodenum).  Without the valve the stomach cannot properly keep food in it that needs to be broken down longer before it's released into the small bowel for further digestion. Normally when the stomach senses it has fats in it the valve slows its opening down so the stomach acid can break down the fats enough for the bile in the small bowel to be able to continue the process and do the rest of the breaking down.  Without the valve fats will dump right into the small bowel undigested and overwhelm the bile being secreted and thus not be absorbed.  On the other hand liquids containing sugar will also be dumped quickly causing the small bowel to try to dilute it with water that it pulls from the body causing dehydration  (we've talked about this before).  This wouldn't normally be a problem if one has a colon, as most of the water is re-absorbed there along with the bile, but in this instance that's not the case.  So no valve to control the timing of the stomach emptying and no colon to absorb water and bile means Rob has to be very careful with what he eats if he wants to gain anything nutritionally from it.........or he'll end up losing more weight, not gaining it.  So liquids, fats and sugars need to be avoided or eaten sparingly.  Rob needs to balance solid food that's nutritious, but not high in fat or sugar with some fiber.....but not lots of fiber.  Fiber has no nutritional value, but might help slow things down a bit, so that ratio of unnutritional fiber to nutritional foods needs to be experimented with to find the best balance that works for him. 

So this question is a bit more complex than if just an ileostomate asked what to eat to gain weight and reduce diarrhea.  There's a lot more ways he can do more harm than good by what he eats and drinks........and what works for someone who only has an ileostomy won't work for him in all cases.  So he needs to be very careful with the advice he gets on here, despite everyone wanting to help with his weight gain and diarrhea problems.  I'd recommend you get with a dietician Rob, but if not stay away from foods that are liquid, high in fats and high in sugar.  I know.......that doesn't leave a lot to choose from, but in this instance carbs may be your best friend.  Sort of like an anti-keto diet!  Lets us know how you're progressing!

;O)

mintontelecom

While I was in the hospital I was introduced to boost very high calorie drinks. I thought the chocolate was terrible but the strawberry is pretty decent. They come with 530 calories and 22 g of protein along with 26 vitamins and minerals according to the label. It's only been a couple of weeks so I haven't really put on any weight yet but I'm working on it. Good luck to you.

infinitycastle52777

My uncle used a product called Muscle Milk to gain weight when he had become very thin. He said it worked well for him. 

Lee

Justbreathe
Reply to infinitycastle52777

Interesting, the surgical team that came to visit me in my room after my surgery suggested Muscle Milk.  jb