Why

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777

Why hasn't anyone thought to make a ostomates cookbook? And a sub cookbook specifically for ileostomates...

xnine

Coloplast has one. Go to their web site to find it. I posted it here also, find it in Premium content.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,525 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Jayne

Now's Your Chance to fill this niche - waiting for your input Lee

;-))

BW

Jayne

AlexT

Cause everyone eats different stuff and in various forms, what’s good for one may not be good for another. Would you post a recipe that you like and can tolerate, find out someone tried it and got a blockage and ends up in the hospital? I’d feel pretty bad if I did that to someone cause they “read” it was ok. 

infinitycastle52777

Well okay I stand corrected. There do seem to be some cookbooks out there. But as was said, not everything works for everyone, so I wonder how they came upon the recipes that are in the cookbooks. I think with any cookbook there will be some recipes that you will want to try and some that you will not. I have about 30 cookbooks at my house and I know I would not make every recipe in every book. I guess I didn't know there were ileostomy cookbooks out there. I was just thinking that  I never heard of one. They must not be very well advertised. I guess it is like most things ostomy related, it might be out there but you have to know what you are looking for to find it. It's like even people in the health field don't know much about ostomies. My gp doesn't know anything about them, I think I must be her only patient with one. It just gets me down sometimes.

Lee

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
w30bob
Reply to infinitycastle52777

That's why relying on a generic "ostomate" cookbook won't work, or even an 'ileostomate' cookbook...........because what you need to eat depends on how much bowel you have left, and whether it's all small bowel, colon or one of the many combos of both.  Hydration is the same way..........if I followed the Hollister video on hydration that you see all the time on here I'd be dead by now.  I even sent them an email explaining the error of their ways, but ultimately they're trying to sell ostomy supplies, so I doubt they'll listen.  But the point here is that what's good for one ostomate may be very wrong for another.  And it's a bit irresponsible of the authors of such books if they don't clearly say that in big letters right at the beginning of their books.  If you Google any condition you can find multiple diets for it, but again, you have to consider what else is going on and if any such diet is actually good for your specific situation.  If that makes sense.

;O)

infinitycastle52777
Reply to w30bob

I know it is a very individual thing, diet and hydration. My dietitian said that I should be drinking 2 gallons of fluid a day. I tried but I just can't drink that much. I just thought that it would be cool to have some kind of a suggestion of recipes and then I could pick from them the ones that sound yummy and would work for me. I guess that would be true of any cookbook. I just thought it would be neat to see what they would put in a ileostomy cookbook. 

Lee

w30bob

2 Gallons!!!  Are you sure she didn't mean 2 liters?  An average woman should drink about 2.5 LITERS a day.........2 gallons and you'll float away!

;O)

infinitycastle52777
Reply to w30bob

She said there is a formula that is your hight and weight and something else I can't remember what but she plugged it all in and said 2 gallons. I use a 32oz bottle that I drink from all day and I fill it up 2 times, and she said I should be filling it up 4 times. Thing is I have low sodium and if I drink a lot I could actually make that worse. So when I do fill up my bottle I use an electrolyte drink and a bottle of water mixed. Yesterday I got up to 3 times of filling up my bottle and I really spent more time peeing then I think is really necessary. I wonder if she is trying to literally flush me out!!!

w30bob

Hi infinity,

32 oz is a liter, so if you drank 4 of those per day that would be 1 gallon, not 2.  That's still a lot to drink........maybe she's wanting to keep your kidneys working well.  The rule of thumb you're referring to is probably the "take half your body weight, and drink that amount in ounces of water".  So if you weigh 100 lbs you'd be drinking 50 oz or a around 1 1/2 liters......125 lbs would be 63 oz or 2 liters.........and 150 lbs would be 75 oz or 2 1/3 liters. You might want to call her and find out what she's thinking by making you drink so much.  

;O)

infinitycastle52777
Reply to w30bob

You're right, that's 1 gallon. I don't know what I was thinking. It's still a lot to drink in a day. I have stage 2 kidney disease so she might be thinking that. I am not sure. I have only seen her 2 times so far so I am not sure yet what she is doing. She hasn't looked at my meal sheets yet so she is still probably trying to figure me out. I don't know. She just said what I should be drinking. I just don't know if I can do it. I have been trying to do it but I often have to absolutely stop at 3 fill ups. 

Jayne

Hello, IC,

I too find it hard to drink [lots] - particularly water.

OK with other things juices, perry, tea, wine etc - but water I find lands 'heavy' ..... BUT KEEP ON SIPPING IC - I know I should at least drink in ecessive of three litres of fluid daily ..... but its a struggle [OK in carbinated form and in the outdoors etc .... but as daily winter thing - that's the challenege.

Perhaps mull some wine with spices OJ and muscavado sugar ...... now THAT I CAN drink in quantity - part of autumn and winter chill ....... "Cheers".............. good for the heart in many ways too!

Keep on trucking

BW

J

Here's one for that elusive cook book ........... [can substitute sugar if diabetic obviously] ..... and I guess alcohol free 'vino' might do ;-)

Ratio: Bottle of Merlot / add 50 % OJ and 50% water - mulling spices [to include cinnamon - SWartz do good  premade bags you can drop in if you dont fancy making up your own] ..... and a good dollop of light muscavado sugar [the dark overpowers I find] .... bring slowly to SIMMER [dont boil] ...... and bingo .... [add brandy for extra special warmth of desired ..... and dont use the extra good Merlot - keep that pure [and obviously you may prefer the brandy sparate - for I would never deream of polluting a good one - same with single malt whiskies too]

Keep warm and consume freely ....... It helps to keep 'hydrated' - albeit with "no or some " alcholhol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry not trying to be intentionally bad - bad me - BUT SERIOUSLY I DO REALLY APPRECIATE HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO DRINK A LOAD OF FLAT HEAVY WATER!

best

J

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Jayne

Interesting recipe. Yeah water on it's own is not really fun to drink. I usually add something to it for flavor, either juice or electrolyte beverages. Water on it's own just has no flavor and it just is no fun. I get to count toward my liquid intake things like milk, protein drinks and i think she said i can count jello. Weird. I just switched to skim milk and I hate it. It tastes like water to me. I was drinking 1% and before that 2%. So skim is a lot thinner. Only good for cereal, not for drinking. However I want to get healthy and the dietitian said skim milk is best. So I am trying hard. 

Lee

xnine