Severe Rectal Stump Pain

Replies
Views
Hope Filled

I’ve had my ileostomy for 3 years today! I haven’t been one of the lucky ones whose quality of life has improved. I’ve suffered from severe rectal pain since weeks after my surgery. I’ve been told it’s scar tissue, a few other diagnoses to see if one stuck. To me this stinks, my health has deteriorated, malnutrition, malabsorption, hairs falling out, teeth are bad… I’ve tried everything and nothing helps. If I was a surgical candidate I would have a reversal or have them remove my rectum. Period! I’m so tired of chronic pain every day! 

Beachboy

If possible, and maybe you've done it, get a second or third medical opinion.  What's the main reason you're not a candidate for Barbie butt surgery?  

I've discovered over the years... YOU must be your own advocate.  You must be a "pain in the ass."  If you are passive, and do as your told.... nothing gets accomplished.  Doctors will send you home with an aspirin.

Squeaky wheel gets the Grease.

Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CrappyColon

Are you near any teaching/research/university hospitals? May I ask the reason for your ileostomy? Did they say why they left the rectum intact? Do not settle when it comes to your health. In another group I’m part of I recommended my surgeon to someone who wanted to get another opinion from Cleveland Clinic. She was able to get the appt. with my surgeon and the Dr told her that it was a complex case and it was presented before the medical board. She had to travel, but she got the help she needed. Mayo Clinic would be closer to you. Don’t settle for the medical team who is allowing your health to deteriorate. 

warrior

very interesting thing goin on here.thank you for sharing.

first..welcome. you are in the right place. 

2nd..after three years of yur surgery , there should be no pain.

you need a second opinion asap.

i had no pain from my stump but i believe it and rectum were killing me . had surgery oct 2023. to remove it.  large intestine could not be saved in 2016. removed it. 

after six yrs of trying to control the bleeding and mucus , the stump had to come out.

i had no chance of reconnecting ..

so if u have a good chance for reversal why in the world would u do it if stump is filling with scar tissue? or possibly so inflamed its  chrons  disease ? or cancer? 

fudge that. get it checked. 

consider barbie butt surgery. and a perm. ilio. for better  health..

im right beside u rowing in same boat kiddo..

Beth22

Hi there,

What is the reason for your Ileostomy? And a better question is are you  passing mucus and sloth? If not the pain could be from mucus buildup in your rectum .

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Jayne

I iterate - further medical oppinion would be helpful!

BW

Jayne