On the fence about this!

Replies
Views
VisnuGD
Reply to Broken Pipes

I seriously doubt you are following a proper human diet to the T. If you want to, phdhealth.community 14days trial, then 5usd a month if you want to really live a happy bag free life. Good luck 🙏

TerryLT
Reply to Beachboy

Hey Beachboy, Me again.  Not wanting to beat a dead horse, but I'm still thinking about your comments regarding ileostomies.  A couple of other points I'd like to make, one regarding maintenance.  We use exactly the same products as colostomates and maintenance is no different.  I spend exactly the same amount of time on maintenance now as I did with my colostomy, actually less, as I've naturally become more proficient at it.  I also wanted to point out a couple of upsides to having an ileo.  We have a slightly lower risk of hernia because the hole in our gut is smaller, and our stomas are smaller (may I say daintier?) than those with colostomies, so lower profile and easier to hide.  My abdomen is flatter also because I don't have all those feet of colon taking up space in my gut.  Even when wearing my bathing suit, you would not know I have an ostomy.  Okay, I'm done now, promise!

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT
Reply to TerryLT

Mine doesn’t show under my swimsuit either. However, every once in awhile it slips out for all to see. 😬

TerryLT
Reply to AlexT

Lol!  Only you Alex...only you!

Beachboy
Reply to Broken Pipes

Think of it this way:

What's easier, draining a bag on an infirm elderly person, or changing a soiled diaper?

2 piece systems. 

The bag snaps off in less than a minute.  It could then be drained or replaced with a new one.  Wafer (baseplate), easier to change than a soiled diaper.  Wafer could last 3 to 4 days before change out

The above scenario was told to me and my wife by my surgeon during reversal consultation.  My wife was pushing me to go for reversal surgery.  She quickly changed her mind.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Broken Pipes
Reply to Beachboy

Beachboy, That's kind of my thought process. It's one thing to wipe a baby's bottom but to wipe an adults ass is very unsettling and gross! 

So how is FLATULENCE different and how is it handled compared to the "out the bunghole way"? Seems like everything i eat cause gas!

AlexT
Reply to Broken Pipes

You fart in the bag, no smell. If you have a working filter in your bag, it’ll usually let the air out. As it gets clogged with output or liquid, you’ll have to let the air out as the bag will fill like a balloon. 

kalexi17

Your life would be much better with either a colostomy or an ileostomy. I have an ileostomy and a Barbie butt. Not something that you talk about other than on sites like this. Yes, it’s life changing but it’s a lot more comfortable than what you’re going through at the moment. I’m in my 10th year on April 14th. Bowel cancer took the lot…even my pelvic floor…l don’t have a coccyx either.  Believe it or not I also broke my back and had spinal surgery in 1997. I wish you well on your journey 💜🙏

Maried

Having a colostomy gives you better control of your life. Pooping in your pants even if it is rare..is no joke.

I have had mine over 30 years..while it was a shock in the beginning you realize it's just a small part of your body and nobody knows you have it unless they see you naked or tell them. I am working had children, was married, now dating.. a very good life. 

Beachboy
Reply to TerryLT

Hello,

Since I don't have an illeostomy, I'm only pointing out facts I've read here.  Mainly the difference in output and propensity of suffering leaks.  And if an ostemate suffers leaks, more maintenance would be involved.  At approximately 14 months post op, I've never had a leak or bag blow out.  But that's my personal experience.  "Everyone's mileage will vary."

I have a paristomal hernia, which is not too bad... but still pisses me off.  My surgeon had to remove impacted hernia repair mesh during my surgery.  As a result, it's like I got liposuction on one side of my stomach.  As I gained weight back....... it mostly returned on the side, opposite my ostomy.  So I'm now lopsided.  As a former surfer who was very fit and toned... it's tough to look at.

Thanks for your experienced input.  

TerryLT
Reply to Beachboy

Hi Beachboy,  Indeed if you are having more leaks, your maintenance time will increase, but why you are having more leaks is the issue.   I believe from everything I've experienced and learned myself that the reason some ostomates have more leaks than others has less to do with whether they have a colostomy or an ileostomy, and more to do with a few other things.  Stoma placement and the stoma itself, along with each individual's physiology plays a huge role.  Not all surgeons are created equal when it come to creating stomas and some leave their patients with stomas that are really difficult to manage.  It also may not be the surgeon's fault depending on the person's situation, ie, surgery that necessarily leaves the abdomen in rough shape.  Finding the products, appliances and other aids, that work best for you plays a huge role too, and some may be suffering needlessly because they just give up.  I can tell you that I suffered far more leaks with my colostomy than I ever have since getting the ileo.  There are so many factors involved and each situation is different.  That is why I try to avoid making sweeping statements.

Cheers,

Terry

Beachboy
Reply to TerryLT

Very good points.  Luckily my surgeon was experienced in colorectal and hernia repair surgery.  He placed my stoma perfectly for my body shape.  My surgery was emergency/exploratory,  So, I didn't sign any paperwork or have preoperative consultation.  I just told him "I'll live with whatever you gotta do."  

TerryLT
Reply to Beachboy

I was lucky too.  My first surgery was an emergency, so I didn't have a choice in surgeon.  I just lucked out that the guy I got was so good, and I stuck with him through my next three surgeries.  The nurses on my ward all told me that he was the best and made the 'best stomas'.  I'm sure it's made a huge difference in my quality of life.

Terry