Ileostomy reversal

Replies
Views
Spookygurl98

How long after getting your ileostomy did you have to wait to get it reversed, I'm 25 and 3 months post opt. I have a scope scheduled for the end of June hoping to get my reversal scheduled soon after..

Beachboy

I had my consult about 6 months post op.

I decided to keep the colostomy.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,629 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Rose Bud 🌹

Everyone will be different most make you wait at least 6mths...Depends on how much of your colon is left and why you got your ostomy in the 1st place. Your doctor will do some test and from there see if your a candidate for reversal. I unfortunately haven't been well enough to go through the procedure and am high risk for other health reasons..(So I'm choosing to keep mine) but know it's NOT the end of the world if don't get a reversal..it does become easier and eventually will become normal where you dont really think about it much.

Spookygurl98
Reply to Rose Bud 🌹

Thanks for the advice, sorry to hear you aren't well enough for reversal, hopefully that changes for you soon. I have a diverting loop ileostomy and have had nothing removed, they did the ileostomy via emergency surgery to give my bowel time to heal while I start on sky rizi for my Crohn's, I was told after surgery it would be around 3-6 months before I could get it reversed so we shall see after my scopes in June.

Spookygurl98
Reply to Beachboy

I struggle with my ileostomy still but I'm only 3 months post opt, it was an emergency surgery so my bowel could heal so I guess I haven't fully accepted it yet, I've also been to the ED 5 times since my surgery in January with one admit about 2 weeks ago. 

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
warrior
Reply to Spookygurl98

Accepting it will take some time. Lucky yours is a temp with lots of large colon left.

I hope the med helps gets u into remission.

5 trips to E.D.? Since this past Januray? Why? What happened?

Spookygurl98
Reply to warrior

Just pain and still having inflammation they had me on IV steroids in the hospital when I was admitted, and did multiple CT scans and they showed on the first scan it was almost completely healed a couple weeks later it showed mild inflammation was back, and my local ED didn't tell me but I found out from my GI in a different city that one of my earlier CT scans showed I had a kidney stone, but they never told me that at the ED and just discharged me that time.

warrior
Reply to Spookygurl98

Hey.. ..been there done that.

IV steroids..scans. stones...biologicals.  sky riz is brand new.  Any other meds you are supplimentiong?

For example, there's  usually two meds being used to treat

CD.. 

What have you tried in the past?

Spookygurl98
Reply to warrior

I was on remicade for 10 years almost before I stopped responding, then there was inflectra, stelara, most recently entivyo, and now the sky-rizi I get my second induction dose next week. 

warrior

Remicade ..ugh.. for some it works. For others not. 

These biologicals, for me at least, upset the skin around the stoma.

I am trying this new one called Orencia.  Which after catching shingles four days after infusion may have triggered the virus.  So you can wonder at my hesitation to continue it once healed.

Shingles is a kick ass event. It make u sick.  body aches and flu like symptoms I was not aware of.   Plus those body sores.. luckily from all the psoriasis meds I have been on, there was no itchy need to scratch. Whoa. Luck duck me.

Let's talk about the heat and  irritated skin.. sensations of burning.. 

Contagious anyone? Yea I'm thinking orencia ain't gonna be the silver bullet for me.

While you are on the biological, I hope you are taking notes how it affected you . I understand yur goal is remission. 

My goal is controlling arthritic conditions since there is no more lower plumbing.