has anyone had any issues?

Replies
Views
ckcleary0889

Just curious if anyone who has had their reversal has run into complications at the anastomosis area where they connected? Mine is on the verge of failing.

Beachboy

Hello,

Reversal surgery has quite a bit of risk.  The surgery has 2 parts.              1. Reconnection of the intestine.     2.  Operation of the bowel.

I was considering reversal about 6 months post op from getting a colostomy.  My surgeon basically said "no way to predict the outcome."   I refused to "roll the dice."  So I'm sticking with the Ostomy.

Hope your reversal troubles can be resolved without further surgery.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,629 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

DexieB

New fear unlocked…..

DavidK
Reply to Beachboy

Hey Beachboy, 

I hoped you thanked your surgeon for been so honest, I applaud his canadidness. I also hope he didn't shock you too much, when he couldn't offer you the 100% certainty you seemed to be seeking. 

As with everything in life there are inherent risks, in this situation, you choose to stick with the "devil you know", and that of course if you perogative, but as far as I can tell most people who have been lucky enough to have been offered the option of colostomy reversal or J-Pouch formation, are happy to take the 'risk', as I'm fairly sure they would prefer to take a 'chance' with further suregery than living with the nagging feeling of 'what if' for the rest of their lifes!.

Kind regards,

David

bowsprit

I don't know, but I think there are more success stories than failed ones when it comes to reversal. So many different factors involved. The opinion of the experts is crucial, and like others have said before, each case is different. I am a clear-cut case of not being the right candidate. God knows, I took enough expert opinions.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Beachboy
Reply to DavidK

Why did you edit your reply to my post?  

Trying to find a different, cutesy way of saying I'm an ass?  Nothing in life is 100% safe or assured.

But I am assured of one thing:  You don't know a damn about me.

ckcleary0889
Reply to Beachboy

I am not sure. This has been a six month issue after being reversed a year ago this month. I have to undergo another round of testing this week.

ckcleary0889
Reply to Beachboy

I didn't edit anything. Literally just logged on

RiverS

I am contemplating reversal after almost 30 years. How would one know if the anastomosis site is failing? Other than testing.., or do you have particular symptoms? No disrespect, just trying to understand for my journey.  (Best of luck with your testing btw🙂)

warrior
Reply to ckcleary0889

Beachboy was responding to David not you Chelsea.. it gets confusing.. the design of the web site and where the replies come in a few lines later. Or days later.

No worries. You are good.

ckcleary0889
Reply to RiverS

I have been having issues dealing with bowel blocks, and went in for a KUB where it showed dilation and a sbo at the anastomosis site. I have to go in for a small bowel follow through to look at things more closely. My revision was a year ago, and this happened suddenly without any prior issues. 

DavidK
Reply to Beachboy

If you must know, I edited for speelign corrections, sorry me bad and even at that, I didn't succed...lol

Lets not lose the plot and get all 'conspiracy' on eachother, and start to imagine stuff that isn't real!

I think we've all been through one kind of hell or another, otherwise I doubt we'd be on here.

I know you've been through a rough time, but who on here hasn't, so lets try and keep the sunny side out!

Waving warmly, 

Have a wonderful day!

David