gas

Views: 250 Replies: 8

Skin Irritation/feeling nor...

Views: 205 Replies: 1

Just for Laughs

View unanswered forum posts

Na`Scent Ostomy Odor Eliminator  
  It's in the Bag and Under the Covers by Brenda Elsagher

Ostomy | Colostomy | Ileostomy | Urostomy | Ostomy Surgery & Procedures | Ostomy Reversal | Ostomy Tips | J-pouch
Clothing, Swimming & Ostomy | Hernia & Ostomy | Intimacy, Dating & Ostomy | Ostomy Pouch Covers | Foods, Diet & Ostomy

Colostomy / Ostomy diet

Welcome to the greatest Ostomy Community

4,717 members interested in a relationship

10,256 members looking for support

108,931 exchanged private messages

47,530 forum posts

1,252 blogs

66 nurses

Get support      Make friends      Meet someone special

MeetAnOstoMate.org

Forum Home Page -> Ostomy-related questions

Reply to topic   Post new topic Create your account  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
 mis010fit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Colostomy / Ostomy diet Reply with quote

Is there such a thing as an ostomy diet?
I am barely getting any output from my colostomy in at least a month, and I have absolutely no appetite.
Last year I was in hospital with what they thought was a partial small bowel obstruction.
My "diet" has been  small amount of baby oatmeal and some coffee at breakfast: maybe cup of soup for lunch. Small amount of yogurt, jars of baby fruit.
I tried to eat small amounts of well-cooked green beans with the carrots today.
I've tried to drink white grape juice.
What are the "safe" things one can eat.
Am so frightened because I feel backed up, and am afraid to eat much,in case of blockage.
And if anything should happen, my Drs. are way out of town.
 Bill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mis010fit,

It's interesting that you should ask about ostomy diet and include what you are eating now, or rather not eating. A few weeks ago someone was asking how they could reduce the output from their stoma and one of the replies was quite instructive. It said "if you eat like a horse- then you s**t like a horse!"  In your case it sounds as if the reverse is the case as your diet, as you have listed it, sounds to be at almost starvation levels. There is a sense where whatever we eat is a 'diet', so it may be a case of just trying stuff to see what response you get.

As is the way with this site, I will briefly share my own experience surrounding  this subject:

Before my colostomy I had to be very careful what I ate because I had faecal incontinence but I also had a stricture which meant that if the stools were too hard it split me open and took days to recover. To prevent blockages I used a carefully measured mixture of Psillium Husk and immodium syrup. I also restricted my input to those things I knew would not bind me up.  The dietician gave me  a list of such things but they can also be found on the literature produced for Ostomates.
When I had my operation I decided to start again with food input experimenting.  The first thing I stopped was the previous regime. I then started gradually adding stuff (that I liked) to my diet to see what happened as throughput and output.  What I found was that there was very little that I could not eat and I have had no problems with blockages.  With hindsight, I now wonder whether maybe the constipation was more to do with my own worry about it than it was to do with what I was or was not eating. I am now irrigating regularly and feel that one of the greatest benefits is to see what comes out.  The  consistency is very instructive in that the first 'flush' is relatively firm (this was probably what would have caused a blockage prior to the ostomy) it then gets progressively softer until the last 'flush', which is liquid.  I am still a little concerned about potential blockages so I irrigate almost every day. (even though it may not strictly be necessary) However, I am now eating relatively normally, three meals a day, without medication for it.  I feel so much better physically and psychologically. I am much more confident, partly because I know what is going in and what is coming out and it has become much more predictable and so more 'manageable'.
Each of us is different in what we are willing and able to do and what might be needed. Thus, I don't expect you to follow that which has suited me. However, I do hope my own experiences help you in your own decision making and I hope that you get it sorted soon
Best wishes
Bill
 mooza

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have too say i didnt folloe the hospital "diet" i actually i got to think soo far back i was to sick to eaqt after surgery anyway but after many this that the other i actually eat anything i like somthing though you know you mite suffer but honestly you need to fuel up your body please start to add more things and CHEW mashed potatoes mashed cauliflower all that stuff you need to start to put into that poor body darlz food i get it your scared can u make any emergency plans if you need too????    

mmooozzzaaa
 Pinky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have to be a bit more daring if you ever want to get off the soft diet.  I had massive small bowel obstructions too in the past and know how awful they are...still over the last two and a half years my diet has advanced to practically normal and then some!  I can certainly understand having no appetite for applesauce and oatmeal!  Very Happy   The United Ostomy Assn (www.uoaa.org) puts out a very good ostomy diet.  If you can try to advance your diet gradually, but stay away from pasta, too many bananas, raw pineapple and other things that easily "clog" the system.  Stemy, woody veggies are also out at first unless cooked to near extinction (I'm thinking celery) - how about soups that are easily digestible yet have some substance - beff with barley, chicken noodle, anything except split pea and navy bean which I find really gassy.  Good luck - so much is just trial and error!    Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i eat everything i have an ielo and dont have much small bowel left i think you have to try every thing untill you see how it affectsYOU my doc says its not a question of what you eat but whats eating you

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!  I have to confess -- I didn't have problems before my surgery  (other than occasional constipation)  But, now, I'm very aware of what "binds" me & what doesn't.  I've found that if I add some anti-constipation medical powder (memory fart stops me from giving a brand name - sorry!!!) 1st thing with my breakfast juice, or ?? it helps keep my consistency to a good level so that "irrigations" don't cause cramping.

Hope you find the answers you're looking for -- & maybe some you didn't realize you wanted!!!
 godswoman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Dreaming of Corn on the Cob Reply with quote

It's Summer and I'm dying for some corn on the cob? Do I dare? I have an ileo and had an internal hernia with surgery last year;had the ileo in 2008. I haven't tried canned corn, but I can eat zucchini, tomatoes, nuts if I chew a lot and have a pretty normal diet. So much so that I went from being a 98 lb weakling after surgery to a healthy 130+lbs now.
 mooza

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gods woman go on give it a go just chew remember hmmm now i want sum corn hahahahah monkey see i do ...Yes i have had corn and all the rest just try it i reckon u would be fine xx mooza
 godswoman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Corn on the Cob Craving Reply with quote

Thanks, Mooza. I'm gonna buy some tomorrow and chew about 40 times!
 mooza

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you just a little bit see how you do ya cant let this get you Ya know . hahaha xxx cheers
 ZACK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Zack from the sweet corn country of southern Michigan where it is now "high season" for sweet corn.  Love it too and you CAN have corn on the cob.  It doesn't really digest much but may not with "regular" folks either.

G-ads

Other topics

Reply to topic    Forum Home Page -> Ostomy-related questions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: