Illeal conduit, colostomy, ...

Views: 219 Replies: 4

What to do...

Views: 565 Replies: 7

Just for Laughs

View unanswered forum posts

Na`Scent Ostomy Odor Eliminator  
  It's in the Bag and Under the Covers by Brenda Elsagher

Ostomy | Colostomy | Ileostomy | Urostomy | Ostomy Surgery & Procedures | Ostomy Reversal | Ostomy Tips | J-pouch
Clothing, Swimming & Ostomy | Hernia & Ostomy | Intimacy, Dating & Ostomy | Ostomy Pouch Covers | Foods, Diet & Ostomy

First leak under the flange

Welcome to the greatest Ostomy Community

4,875 members interested in a relationship

10,562 members looking for support

110,592 exchanged private messages

48,312 forum posts

1,273 blogs

66 nurses

Get support      Make friends      Meet someone special

MeetAnOstoMate.org

Forum Home Page -> Ostomy products

Reply to topic   Post new topic Create your account  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: First leak under the flange Reply with quote

ConvaTec vs Hollister

My first leak under the flange happened today.  Others have talked about their leak problems.  I haven't had any leaks or blowouts - ever.  Several people have talked about ConvaTec products and liked them - so I tried it.  With my third flange - today I had poo slip under the flange to the outer edge of the tape.  I found it before any mess but I won't use it any more.  I am returning to my standard ...  Hollister two piece.

Tried - didn't like
ConvaTec Sure-fit Natura Durahesive skin Barrier with Hydrocolloid Flexible Collar.  411802 Two piece closed end.

I am returning to Hollister two piece closed end - Flange 14803.  

I have used Hollister since August 2010.  I have tried a few other samples but keep returning to Hollister.  I have never had a leak or blowout or any problem.  I realize that we each find what works best for us as individuals.  This seems to be my best product.

I am just reporting to anyone seeking information.

I use Cavilon barrier cream - dimethicone- very light coating then blot.  Then attach barrier.  I hold it for a few minutes while it heats to my skin temperature.   This seems to work best for me.  If I have a suggestion of an itch I use witch hazel or vinegar or both.  Dry well - always.  Always hold tightly to my skin until I am sure of attachment.  So far it has always worked.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Carol, And thanks for posting this information. I use the same Hollister unit and have only had two leaks with mine and both after quickly fitting fresh flanges. All my own fault, I know. Just got one question about witch hazel and vinegar..........do you just dab either or both on the affected area? I've got a nasty rash around mine at present and stoma nurse gave me a prescription for some penicillin, along with some samples of Coloplast and Dansac two piece in case it is an allergy to the adhesive of my Hollister two piece. I'd really like not to take the antibiotic if I can avoid it at all. Thanks a million, Colm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, hope you are adapting to the new status.  

Occasionally, I itch.  It isn't bad and it isn't usually confined to stoma area.  If I shower when I itch (w/o flange), I put about a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar in a jar of water and pour it over my hair, an my entire body.  It seems to neutralize everything.  Or maybe I imagine it all.  I have used both around my stoma if there is even a suggestion of itch or irritation.  I have never had anything serious enough for meds so I don't have any advice.  I think I remember getting most of the info from the web research.  

Witch hazel has been used in my family for years for about everything - a kind of antiseptic - and mild to the skin - not like alcohol.    

Again, never had anything that needed treatment - so I can't advise.  Let me know what happens.  I don't know what I would do with something more serious since I don't have a doctor.  Might have to find one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Carol. I'll get some witch hazel at the pharmacy this afternoon and try it around the rash after showering this evening. I asked anyway at the pharmacy and they said it couldn't do any harm. Don't know about my new status though?? Take good care, Colm
 Ironmike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried all of the products available to me when I became bagged. Went back to and have stayed with the 2 piece Hollister over 9 years. It is less baggy than the Convatec and sports the 7 inch bag.
Doubt that any ostomate will escape a leak event; however, it shouldn't be that often if you have a good fitting appliance.
Also, I see the occasional post about showering and my personal advice is to never shower without removing the appliance. You need to clean your skin and keep it from weeping which will happen if you get the appliance wet. I think you're guaranteeing a leak if your skin is not dry. Take it off, clean and shave the area, apply a liquid bacteria soap, shower, and powder the area.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just gone back to using my old Hollister two piece unit once again after trying the Dansac and Coloplast. I just couldn't feel confident with the Coloplast system as was never sure whether I had a good seal between the flange and bag. The Dansac two piece was quite good and would probably accept it if I hadn't already tried the Hollister. Like Ironmike just said I much prefer to change after showering and give the whole area a good clean up. I must look out some antibacterial soap though. Thanks to you both for the insight! And have a very Happy New Year with better health too. Take good care, Colm
 Ironmike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding a rash, I've used Ketoconazole prescribed by a doctor over the years (very sparingly). It really dries the skin. Mainly, I've avoided rashes by meticulously keeping the skin clean. Also, before powdering the area, I wet a piece of gauze with saline solution and wipe the peristomal area to ensure I remove any soap residue. To me, clean, clean, clean is the theme.

In the event you ever have any bleeding or an ulcerous skin sore, use calcicare by Hollister to cover the area and place a cut-to-fit 2x4 bandage over it. Then place the barrier over it.
Don't bandaid the sore as it will just stick to the bleeding area. The alginate dressing (calcicare) is the only way I know to heal open sores under the barrier.

The risk of activity during a shower is a small problem compared to skin problems which result from showering with the appliance on.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ironmike. Great to get advice like this. I am particularly conscientious about keeping the stoma area clean, but will take your idea of the saline solution. Thankfully none of the rash opened but I did take Carol's advice about using Witch Hazel and it seems to have worked. Thanks Carol!! Wishing you a very Happy New Year, Colm
 Ironmike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very Happy New Year to you, too!

I've learned that ostomates must share remedy info with each other. Outside of some ostomy nurses, there are no medical pros who can compare to fellow ostomates to suggest remedies to many of the ostomy-related problems we experience on a daily basis. There used to be great ideas in the ostomy magazine that went out of business several years ago. I just started signing in to this site and hope thay any of us with years of experience can help new ostomates adjust comfortably and confidently.

God bless!
 Primeboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironmike wrote:

Outside of some ostomy nurses, there are no medical pros who can compare to fellow ostomates to suggest remedies to many of the ostomy-related problems we experience on a daily basis.

Finding this site and making friends here is why 2011 has been a very good year for me. I am glad you found us and I know for sure that you will see how special it really is in short order.   PB

G-ads

Other topics

Reply to topic    Forum Home Page -> Ostomy products All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: