Ileostomy Reversal, I Will Let You Know How It Goes

Replies
Views
TotallySurprised
Guess I will start from the beginning. 2 1/2 years ago, I had a sudden onset of abdominal pain which got worse over 48 hours. Having no insurance coverage, I held out as long as I could before going to the ER with the abdominal pain and no B/M for over 72 hours.

8 hours after arriving in the ED, I was in surgery, and 12 hours later, I had a colostomy.

I will give a blow-by-blow in later posts, but after an unsuccessful attempt at reversal last September that resulted in an ileostomy, I was completely and totally depressed.

Last Thursday, my ileostomy was reversed. I was released from the hospital directly out of the ICU yesterday morning. I returned to the ED yesterday afternoon because I spiked a temp of 102. A "possible" pneumonia was detected on the X-ray. I refused to be readmitted for observation, was given an antibiotic to take home, and a new appointment with the surgeon Wednesday to follow up.

I seem to be healing very fast, moderate incision pain, and some lingering hernias that will be repaired later.

I intend to become a full member later today and then plan to blog about my total mind-numbing experience.

Godspeed.
cee
Hi TotallySurprised,

And aren't we all. After one abdominal resection surgery a couple of years ago, I was sent home. I was there a week recovering when everything stopped. I was still "connected" then. I felt horrible and eventually started vomiting black awful stuff. Readmitted to the hospital, they found no blockage...they eventually found pneumonia in my right lung, and they wrote the whole 3 weeks of in-patient care off to "ilio-anal blockage secondary to pneumonia". It was pure misery. I am sure your insurance situation sucks, but don't let yourself die over it.

Good luck!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TotallySurprised

I had 2 bowel movements in the hospital and then nothing. Came home yesterday morning and nothing all day. Finally about 8 this morning all was well again. I pray for continued healing!

hometown

Hi, just reading your posts, and my prayers are with you. Things like this seem to happen often and no answers to make us feel better. I will pray for a full recovery and no more problems, Joyce.