Recovery Time for Sex After Colostomy Reversal

Replies
Views
Morgan bond

I had my reversal 2 weeks ago and am wondering how long I should wait to have sex. Any information appreciated. Thanx

Juuust_James

That's a tough question. You kinda have to listen to what your body tells you, just as if you were going to resume exercising. Only 2 weeks post-op is not a very long time, and your abdominal muscles should still be very sore, thus limiting your movement. Having had 4 operations myself, I know that just coughing was uncomfortable for quite some time after surgery. So, had I been in a relationship at the time, I probably would have waited until I had full mobility and only a little pain remaining in my abdominal area before resuming with sex.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

WOUNDED DOE

Some doctors will advise anytime between 3-6 weeks depending on the individual situation and extent of surgery, but I think few people wait that long. Juuust_Jim gave great advice on that. Start out slow, be careful, and if anything is too painful just ease up, stop and give yourself another week or so... and remember, being intimate can be creative and gentle... and if you have a loving partner, that person will understand and be patient. Keep your heart filled with love and be careful with your body until you're ready.

Juuust_James
Love reading your replies, Miss Doe. Always so uplifting and positive. If there was a "10 most beautiful" list for this site, you would be on it.
WOUNDED DOE

Awww, that was really sweet of you to say Juuust_Jim, thank you

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister