Severe Cramps Post Reversal

Replies
Views
The bag lady

Hi there, I am a week post-reversal and wonder if anyone has advice re: cramping and gas relief. I was relatively prepared for the frequent runs to the w/c and the ermm ... sore posterior but I wasn't expecting these wickedly sharp pelvic cramps likely due to all the gas that builds up. Has anyone experienced the same? What kind of things have you done? I've tried a heating pad over my abdomen and I get out for frequent walks around the block to get things going after a meal. I've asked the surgeon about something like Gas-X, but she did not recommend it. Thanks

violet-hummingbird

Hi ex-bag lady..

Well done on your recent surgery. I suggest that you take prescribed painkillers, drink plenty, and gently exercise, and they will settle down. It is early days for you at just a week post-op. Peppermint water helps with wind too.

I drank hot water and mint tea, ate bioactive yogurts, and kept my diet very simple. More fish than meat and small amounts of veg at first as the fiber made my belly windy.

I am 3 years post-reversal op and still find windy pains quite sharp. Changing positions seems to help.

Kind regards

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,367 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

fable3

Yes! I remember this 'side effect' vividly. It was downright pass-out from the pain on some days. Thankfully, the worst of it passed about a month after the surgery. I was told it is normal but to watch out for signs of bleeding or stenosis (narrowing of stool). Pain meds and GA can cause constipation. Take heart that this too shall pass. No pun intended.