I cannot get my body back after my reversal

Replies
Views
caaan7

I had my reversal and hernia repair done 24 months ago. I now have what I call a Buddha tummy. Where the stoma was is now healed, but still red, probably due to the fact that it's at my waist. While the incision is a little lighter than before, it's still quite visible. I can't lose the tummy. I've been doing Weight Watchers since January but only managed to lose 10 lbs. I do 2 to 3 miles on the treadmill at 3 to 3.5 mph daily and have been going to a trainer for 3 weeks now. Nothing, no change. The area above my waist is what bothers me. I almost look pregnant, okay, I DO LOOK PREGNANT. I'm at the same weight I was prior to the first surgery, but my body seems to have changed. Does anyone have the same problem areas after their reversal? Because of the problems I had between the 2 surgeries, and there were many including a hernia, could that be delaying my losing the fat? I'd love some input. HELP!

dsmithsc91

Since nobody has replied, I'll give you my 2ยข. Keep in mind I'm not a dietitian or weight loss expert...

As part of your Weight Watchers or otherwise, have you ever kept a food journal to help track how many calories you are eating/drinking? If you are consuming more than 1,500 calories per day, at your activity levels, losing weight will be tough.

The frustration with being at your pre-surgery weight but now having a "buddha tummy" is understandable and maybe the result of a loss of muscle mass while recovering from surgery offset by an increase in fat. Muscle atrophies more quickly than you think, and you have to work harder to get it back. Hopefully the trainer is working with you on this, but it will take time. I wouldn't expect any results in three weeks. A good trainer is going to treat you with kid gloves given your medical history. Slow and steady will be the keys to your success. There are no shortcuts.

I've been told you need to burn 3,200-3,500 calories more than you consume to lose one pound of weight. As I think about it more, the food journal would be a good idea. I kept one as I was trying to gain weight back after chemo. It was eye-opening.

Good luck,

Dave

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,315 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Letshavesomefun

Welcome to the Buddha Belly Club. As we get older, the body stores our fat around the stomach. That is a common occurrence with an ostomy, so my doctor said. You can work some of that off your tummy, give it time. Good luck, Dan Duggan, Troy, MI.

Zywie

Oh great... one more exciting and wonderful thing from this ever-so exciting surgery. :) That must be what this is. I thought it was a hernia and the doc said no, but couldn't tell me what it was. Did you ever notice, doctors can immediately tell you what something isn't but they can never tell you what something is without a million tests? Thanks for the happy news, Dan.