Rectal Stump Removal: Surgery, Recovery, and Expectations - Need Advice!

Replies
Views
Debbiedo

Help please, awaiting removal of the rectal stump as bleeding continued since permanent colostomy surgery due to severe Crohn's. Just anxious as been waiting on Urgent list since December 2015, meant to have it yesterday, was all gowned up ready, then they cancelled me. So upset. New date 6/9/17.

Bill

Hello Debbiedo.

Thanks for your post, even though it is a bit depressing and disappointing to hear that the NHS contnues to let people down in this way. There seems to be no consideration for how people feel when these procedures are cancelled at the last minute and it appears to becoming the norm rather than an exception. Let's hope that your next appointment is honoured and your operation goes well.

Best wishes

BillĀ 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,377 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

I agree with Bill, it's difficult to have such a letdown after patiently waiting for the date to arrive. September isn't too far off though, and I too hope everything goes through.

NotDeadYet

Debbiedo--

So sorry for the delay.

I had rectal stump bleeding too, colon removed due to cancer. Horrid.

Keep the faith, let us know how it went! We're all on your side!

Immarsh

Hi,

My name is Marsha, and when I had my ileostomy done more than 50+ years ago (I was 15) due to ulcerative colitis, they deliberately left in the rectal stump, hoping that it would heal. After 4 years, it still had active disease, bled all the time, and I was sick of all the pain, medications, and treatments. I had to fight with my doctors and parents, but I opted for removal of the rest of the rectum. The thought was that "someday", I might be able to be hooked up. But after 7 years with the disease, I knew I would never take the chance of being reconnected. I'm sorry you've had to wait so long for this part of the surgery. Have patience... Eventually, the surgery will be done, and you'll be finished with the disease... in that area at least.

You do know that Crohn's can recur anywhere in the digestive tract. My ex-husband had Crohn's and an ileostomy, but still had attacks in the upper areas of the intestine. One of my sons has Crohn's and the other has UC. Both have been maintained on medications and haven't required surgery.

I do wish you the best of luck. Hang in there.

Marsha

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
NotDeadYet

So, Debbiedo, how are you now?