Change in Pattern - Unexpected Output, Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
Audrey Warren

I'm relatively new, just having had a colostomy because of debilitating IBS-C. That was Nov 8, 2021. After having a bad experience with home health care, I was assigned a very competent nurse and am comfortable changing Peggy. Stella is my stoma and I'm much attached to her :-)

Luckily, my pattern is empty Peg twice after morning coffee and/or breakfast. Then I rinse Peg and I'm done until the next day.
Yesterday I had a surprise with some output (not like usual and if I'd been out wouldn't NEED to empty but would have preferred to.
This is the first time in four months and I'm hoping it won't happen again. I know I'm extremely lucky after reading what so many fellow ostomates must do.

I am clinically depressed and have generalized anxiety disorder. One wouldn't know this unless I told him/her.
I was unusually anxious yesterday. Of course, this made me more anxious. This morning normal pattern.
Thank you and I love this site.
Your thoughts.

Audrey Warren

AlexT

Mine goes whenever it wants, but I don't eat or do things on the same schedule like some people do. Did you change anything up in the last couple of days?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,505 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

lovely

I don't have any certain time when mine decides to work. Sometimes a little, then a lot later or the next day. It varies for people. Best wishes.

RaenotRay

Hi Audrey,

I'm so sorry you're having a difficult time. I'm not wired exactly like you, so I can't answer the technical questions concerning your colostomy.

I do understand a bit about depression and anxiety. Living in Washington, where it rains the majority of the year, depression is pretty common. Before my surgeries, I could always stay busy enough to stay ahead of it so to speak. I've been home from the hospital almost 6 months now, and I'm still struggling. I had never taken any type of medication in that arena. Now I'm taking depression/anxiety meds and sleep meds. Like you, unless I tell someone, people wouldn't know that about me. I tend to be very positive, but this has been a tough season. Just know, you're not alone. I'm proud of you for sharing your heart, and I'm rooting for you.

-Rachel

RaenotRay

Hi Audrey,

I'm so sorry you're having a difficult time. I'm not wired exactly like you, so I can't answer the technical questions concerning your colostomy.

I do understand a bit about depression and anxiety. Living in Washington, where it rains the majority of the year, depression is pretty common. Before my surgeries, I could always stay busy enough to stay ahead of it so to speak. I've been home from the hospital almost 6 months now, and I'm still struggling. I had never taken any type of medication in that arena. Now I'm taking depression/anxiety meds and sleep meds. Like you, unless I tell someone, people wouldn't know that about me. I tend to be very positive, but this has been a tough season. Just know, you're not alone. I'm proud of you for sharing your heart, and I'm rooting for you.

-Rachel

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
iMacG5

Thanks for sharing, Audrey. Like AlexT’s and Lovely’s, our guts are pretty much on their own and don’t usually stick to a schedule. We try to influence them by what and when we eat, when we sleep, nap, exercise and whatever else we can schedule and we spend a lot of time questioning what we might have done differently. I just appreciate when they don’t create problems and wish I could communicate that with them. They probably wouldn’t give a crap or would.
On the upper end of us, like Rachel points out, you’re not alone and I, too, am proud of you and grateful for your sharing. I think folks who never experienced depression and/or anxiety can’t appreciate how tough it is to endure and hide from others. We shouldn’t expect any empathy or compassion from them so we need to continue with our secret. Since we can’t have an agreeable conversation with our guts, maybe reminding our brain’s Limbic system of how well we’re doing, or not, might be a good place to confide. Sharing with us is always a good idea. (I was gonna write "sharing with us is a no brainer” but, ya know)
Respectfully,
Mike

RaenotRay

I always get so emotional on this site. It really restores my faith in humanity on the daily. Thank you for your kindness and insight, Mike.

Past Member
Reply to RaenotRay

Hugs

Tense62
Reply to RaenotRay

Hi Audrey, things will eventually get better. I struggled when I came out of the hospital as well. I was very much afraid to take the part close to the skin off. It felt as if it was peeling away my skin. I was also depressed. I took no meds for it but was so glad I had a lot of support. It was a challenge. As I said, things will get better one day at a time...be patient.