and I’m not keen to make the swap
or see my irrigation stop.

I know my stoma nurse is right,
but still, I think that I just might
do some more experiments
before I give up or relent.

B. Withers 2021

Caz67

Bill, I feel for you. It's a bloody nuisance, but I'm sure you will fathom some way of making it easier. If you do, please let me in on the secret. XX

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,503 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill
Hello Caz.
Thanks for your response to this post. Of course I will keep you updated if anything changes, but for now I'm going to see how long I can keep going with the irrigation despite the stoma nurse's warnings.
Best wishes
Bill
Panko

Hi Bill, can you enlighten me on the pros and cons of an irrigation system?
I've only read up briefly on it, but not in depth. I thought once you've had a man bag or two, you're stuck with them??
So when you put the pipe inside your stoma, does it vacuum out your poop or does it move by gravity as normally it travels? Or do you know that you're ready to pass a good poop like the good old days, brew it up after brekky, strong coffee or orange juice, then sit on the throne, bombs away?? Also, if you've had a good clear out, how do you know you're not going to go again, especially if your last meal was spicy food? Could be very loose?? Do you cover the stoma with a base plate and cap??
I'm intrigued, as if things are as simple as you say, I would love to lose a bag and become a one-bag man with cap in hand! Thx Adam

Bill
Hello Adam.
Thanks for the questions. I will try to answer them in the order you fired them, bearing in mind that this is just my own experience: 1) The pros include almost complete freedom during the day without faecal output, this has obvious benefits for us one-baggers of not having to know where all the toilets are before we travel. It also means that we are not thinking about stomas all the time and therefore have room, time and opportunity to have other things on our minds. I believe the irrigation system is cleaner, more efficient and less time consuming than bags. I also believe that the stoma caps that I use, help with my parastomal hernia - but that's s different story. They also will hold a very small amount of output if necessary - but that's very rare. 2) The cons are that irrigation takes about an hour or so. which can get to be a bit of a drag if you are like me and need to do it daily. However, when balanced with the fact that bags are also a daily routine, this doesn't seem quite like a con after all. Also, irrigation is only suitable for people with a colostomy and no other adverse complications. 3) The system that is usually recommended is with a cone and a gravity fed water bag that hangs above shoulder height. ( I don't use this system because I use pressurised water from my own device) Basically, the water is fed into the stoma and it stimulates peristalsis, which pushes most or all of the faeces out within about 30 minutes or so. (with me it's more like an hour!)This output drops through a long plastic sleeve into the toilet (unless you are like me and can't be bothered to wait so long, in which case, I fold up the sleeve and let it fill up like an oversized bag and then empty it. Sometimes (not often) I get a small amount of residual output sometime overnight, but that is catered for by leaving the sleeve on and making it up into a large bag until morning. Like most things regarding the stomas, people get into a regular routine and this is the key to successful irrigation. 4) As stated previously, I use a stoma plug (a picture of one can be seen on my profile photos).this allows me to wear a very tight hernia belt with little or no chance of output to worry about. I have no idea how you would get on with having to cater for a urostomy as well, but a discussion with a stoma nurse might give you some tips in that regard. If you are serious about exploring the irrigation technique, I would suggest that you Google 'stoma irrigation' and watch a few good illustrations on You tube. I hope this information proves useful to you and I wish you the best of luck in giving irrigation a go (after a discussion with the stoma nurses, as they will show you the practical details). There is also plenty of information in past posts which can be found in: 'COLLRECTIONS' - 'Premium content' above. Best wishes Bill

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill
Hello Panko.
Yes, I remember the problems with trying to find the right hernia belt. I tried several different ones without any joy. Then I found a firm CIU who offered to make one to my specifications. This was fine except that I was allergic to the elastic the edged the top and bottom of the belt. However, I found that I could fold it over top and bottom so that it no longer touched my skin and that solved that problem. The other problem I had was with the parastomal hernia: What I felt I needed was a belt that would cause pressure directly on the stoma. after lots of failed experiments, I 'borrowed' a seat belt from one of our wheelchairs. This had a relatively bulky clip fastener that went directly over the stoma to give me the pressure that I required. Now I tend to wear both belts during the day which keeps me comfortable and safe. Fortunately, I have never been a follower of fashion and nobody (except my wife) has ever commented on the stuff I wear.
As for the loperamide/Imodium: I was on it at one time, but found that it was far too strong for me in the tablet form and caused the predictable problems of blockages. However, one of my surgeons said that it was available in liquid form. This was ideal, as I used a small syringe to measure the dosage precisely to suit my needs.
Then there's the farting! Well, I did contemplate this subject on a previous occasion and produced a rhyme for my elderly clients on the welfare bus. I hope you enjoy it.
Best wishes
Bill

WHEN SOMEONE FARTS UPON THE BUS.

Let me tell you from the start.
I don't think people mean to fart.
And, as far as I can tell.
They've no control on sound or smell.

When someone farts upon the bus.
This is a subject to discuss.
When people will their wind uncork.
Most folks might find it hard to talk.

Many reactions I have found.
Are simply to that trumpet sound.
Such sudden surge of sentiment.
I think it's called embarrassment!

Once a fart's within earshot.
People do not say a lot.
The fart will tend to mesmerise.
As if one's thoughts are galvanised.

An instant instinct like an itch.
Make noses like a rabbit's twitch.
Expressions on their faces tell.
That they await an awful smell.

Instinct tends to make us think.
That every fart will always stink.
When someone farts we cannot tell.
If it will come with its own smell.

If our own farts don't smell one bit.
We're glad we've got away with it.
We can sigh with great relief.
That we've not given others grief.

Some may giggle, some may smile.
Some might show that they're hostile.
But when it comes right down to it.
All our farts can smell like shit.

So if the fart's not one of yours.
I hope that you will try to pause.
Try not to scold or to indict.
Just consider the farter's plight.

B. Withers 2011 (on the bus)

(In: My Colourful Rag-Tag-Bag 2012)
Past Member

Thanks for writing about your present situation in your fabulous prose, but sorry to read about your present situation.