Looking for Ostomy Support and Community

Replies
Views
colonferal

Hi all! Though I've never met anyone else with an ostomy in person, I am grateful to have chatted with some folks online that have helped answer my questions and provide me with a sense of community throughout my journey. I was directed here by some people on Reddit and I'm looking forward to seeing what this site is all about.

xx

Bill
Hello colonferal.
Welcome to the site. I have found that this site is constantly changing, depending upon who is posting at any one time. A brief guide to what people om her think about it can be found in 'Members reviews' which is in 'COLLECTIONS' at the top of the page.
I do hope that you will join in the discussions and make a part of this site your own.
Best wishes
Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,527 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Welcome aboard! We are a friendly bunch. :)

xnine

A lot of helpful people on here.

Miss Worrier

Hi Colonferal, welcome!! I am fairly new to this site, and I love it! I've only had my ileostomy for ten weeks and this site has been so helpful!!! Hope it will be for you also!!! Miss Worrier!!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Morning glory

Welcome, you have come to the right place for answers and friendship with amazing people.

Justbreathe

Love your name!

Justbreathe

Love your name!

StPetie

Colonferal!! LMAO!! I seriously wish I'd thought of that.

lovely

Welcome to the site.

Earth Angel

Welcome Colonferal! I think you've got the best profile name!!!

????

PipPop

I love your name! Jealous I didn't think of it.

PurplePrincess

Welcome, embrace the journey. Everybody can't have superpowers.

colonferal

Haha, thanks for all the username love and welcoming words/support! When I was trying to figure out my stoma's name, my sister and I thought of Colon Feral and I cackled loudly. That's when I knew it was a keeper, lol.

Appreciate you all! I don't know how to respond to people individually, but I'll figure this site out sooner or later.

Immarsh

Hi, welcome to the site. My name is Marsha, and I've had my ileostomy for more than 50+ years, since I was a kid of 15. Unlike many, I never named my stoma, and honestly, I don't know why. I tend to think of "her" as a she, but no clue why. I was very active in the NYC ostomy assoc...at 15, and when I found a bunch of young adults and teens, we founded our own "group" that lasted for about 4 years. There was so much that we younger people wanted to talk about (sex) without the parents and old folks hanging around. At the time, we also worked with ostomy supply co's and helped test supplies. At the time, we were really in the dark ages. Today, there are so many more options than there were back then. Most of my family's friends and neighbors knew my story, so by the time I married (a
man who also had an ostomy) and moved to NJ, I wanted some anonymity. But I still worked (with little success) to start an ostomy group near home. After a while, I gave up on that and was busy living life, returning to school, and raising my kids (who are now married adults raising kids of their own). When I found this group (mostly Australians at the time), I thought I had little need for it since I had been living successfully with the ostomy for over 40 years. But I joined anyway, and it felt like coming home. I decided to pay the permanent membership since my ostomy is permanent, and I've enjoyed the friendship, help, and support I've gotten and received over the years. I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to ask questions, post ideas, or share ideas and thoughts. We're all here to listen and to help when needed. Marsha

Riva

Welcome. Education is key on this new journey of yours. I suggest you check out UOAA, United Ostomy Association of America. It's our national organization. There you will learn about foods, blockages, skin care, clothing, products, travel, activities, and a whole host of other tricks of the trade. You might also want to check out a local support group near you. Just remember you are not alone on this new journey of yours. Best of luck.

Past Member

Hello, first time making a comment. I'm a little shy, just want to say "HI". I hope I can meet some good people. Feeling very lonely ???? Hope you'll have a wonderful day, peace.