Relief with Vicks: Stoma Irritation Solution

Replies
Views
Justbreathe

Vicks Fix

Irritated skin around my stoma is always a result of not snugging up the appliance to the stoma. This happens on occasion when I am not diligent about a snug fit. I recently discovered that a dab of Vicks VapoRub (mom's cure-all when I was a kid) on the irritated skin around my stoma provides immediate relief and overnight healing. May not be for everyone but works for me so thought I'd share. Once I apply the Vicks, I cover it with stoma powder and then tap a barrier wipe on top. I have not experienced any seepage when doing this. jb

w30bob

Hi Just,

Makes sense because the eucalyptus and menthol in Vicks are anti-inflammatory and should help your skin calm down. But stay clear of Vicks if your skin is broken or bleeding. In those cases, the camphor in it will quickly be absorbed by your skin, and you run the risk of camphor poisoning. Not to mention it won't feel very good either. But Vicks is one of those old-time miracles. My grandmother was never without her little blue bottle of Vicks Vaporub with the light green lid. She put it on everything!!

;O)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,503 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Justbreathe
Reply to w30bob

Yes, sir Bob.... And thanks for the heads up to our ostomate buddies-

As a side note - before applying, I consulted my old friend Google to review possible issues with this practice. That's the reason I included "may not be for everyone". After the plethora of medications I was given after my surgery and the consequences of those... I find momma knew best after all. I am down to a B12 daily and a Vicks application when needed around my stoma - yeah, I may shuffle my mortal coil tomorrow but I've had a good run. . jb

TerryLT

Good old Vicks! Great tip JB, thanks!

Terry

Simonseznow

When I was at Johns Hopkins, a nurse sprayed Flonase on my irritated skin. It worked great. Expensive but if it works, I'll take it.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
TerryLT
Reply to Simonseznow

Yes, Flonase works, but you need to know that Flonase contains cortisone, which thins the skin, so it should be used cautiously and not on a regular basis.

Terry

AllieKIM
Reply to w30bob

I was told by many ostomy nurses and my doctor NEVER to put anything greasy around my stoma or belly as the wafer would not stick. So this is confusing! ;But I might try it. Thanks!

Justbreathe
Reply to AllieKIM

And I was told by "professionals" to allow 1/8" skin between stoma and pouch opening...and that is exactly where my problem appears....like I have said in previous posts- there is nothing quite like the fine folks on this site with "on-the-job" experiences. We are all different and need to carefully explore any ideas and/or products suggested on this forum. The Vicks-fix works for me and I hope it is useful for others as well. Thanks for your comment :) ;jb

Redondo

Vicks sounds aggressive to put around the stoma. Whenever I have a skin issue there, I use calamine lotion and let it dry before putting anything back on. It's soothing and quickly heals the area.