Day 2 Post Reversal

Replies
Views
MoeMoe

Today is the end of day 2 of my post op reversal. I’m healing well and the surgeon came, checked me out and said that because I was passing stool and gas I could go home. The first time I passed stool it was bloody. Doc said there would be “some blood” but it was more than that, it was kind of alarming to me but the nurse called the surgeon and was told it was normal. My pain has been controlled with Tylenol and Motrin but they released me with oxy which I hope to not use. Since they did it laparoscopy pain isn’t as bad as the initial colostomy surgery which was life saving for me. There is a lot of extra skin that hangs from where the hernia used to be and the stoma site looks a little gory LOL but hopefully the staples come out next week. I was told some drainage would be normal. I haven’t had an “accident” yet but on someone else’s advice I bought the adult diapers which gives me peace of mind when I sleep, although I do feel like I have control of my bowels. I am using a binder which I leave off at night and when I’m lying down so the stitches can dry up. I’m on a low fiber diet for the next two weeks. When I stand up, it feels like my insides move around and doc said that was normal, also I can sometimes feel my intestines moving, I think that’s peristalsis, right? Well I can feel that and it’s quite painful LOL and my stomach makes a lot of noises and gurgling sounds. I don’t really have much of an appetite right now but all in all this time around was much easier. Until next time friends! Take care, be well! Edit: forgot to mention that my abdomen feels like I did a thousand crunches, it’s super sore

Beachboy

Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear you're intestines are pushing out the gas and stool.  If all goes well, you could have that excess "hernia" skin trimmed.  Avoid the oxy if possible. 

Great update.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,502 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

MoeMoe
Reply to Beachboy

Thx BeachBoy! I’m avoiding it like the plague. I do NOT like oxy or how it makes me feel. So far Tylenol and Motrin have been working, I’m sticking to it LOL 

Downtown

I'm jealous... I think.  Glad to hear it's going good for you!

Beachboy
Reply to Downtown

Hey Downtown,

Only us Ostemates would be jealous about passing gas and stool.  Excellent development for anyone after reversal surgery.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Morning glory

Thanks for the update. Sorry you're  having pain but you are going to do fine. Rest , walk and stay hydrated. 

DexieB

Great news!  The noises are normal,  a little scary but normal.  I also avoided the oxy as much as possible, but I took it when I needed.  Like 3 times maybe?  I did not have staples where my stoma was but it has pretty much closed up now at 7 weeks.  I still have some pain on occasion but not a lot …most likely from my sleeping position and not moving as much as normal.  Word of caution, do not lift or get sick of you can avoid it!   Yours truly developed a small incisional hernia from coughing because I got sick for 10 days after I was released, so protect yourself from viruses as much as possible!  I tried everything not to cough but it didn’t help.  The hernia is not in the same place as my peristomal hernia was-  it is along my midline incision and I will just have to deal with it down the road if it becomes too much of a problem.  Bad timing for a virus, but I am still super grateful I was able to have a successful reversal!  No regrets.  Keep up the good work with recovery ❤️‍🩹 

MoeMoe
Reply to DexieB

Dexie!! Yes I remember you got sick and that darn cough wouldn’t go away. I watched your posts pretty closely because I knew my reversal was coming up too. I was supposed to have reversal early Jan but couldn’t get the courage to call and make the appt so my body did it for me in the ER. I can feel the air traveling through my abdomen like a coke bottle getting flipped over when I roll out of bed, It’s so painful and scary indeed. Yep, not lifting anything at all. I didn’t lift anything when the ostomy was put in place and I still got a hernia. After the shock and devastation of waking up with the bag in the ER, the worse part physically for me really was the hernia. I got used to my West Side Stomie LOL just couldn’t get used to the hernia. How are you feeling now? 

DexieB

Feeling good aside from the hernia.  I didn’t lift much either last time but a medication I was on made me cough and gave me a hernia under my stoma.  I just can’t believe a cough did me dirty again 😭

The hernia was worse than the stoma for me too- just because I hated how it stuck out. It never bothered me physically.  But the new hernia, although smaller, is almost worse for me because it’s under an incision that is healing right in the middle, and the pressure is uncomfortable when I stand.  I’m not sure if that will get better with time, or if I will just get used to it….hasn't happened yet.  I’m constantly afraid it’s going to cause a problem like your hernia did, but I can’t sit or lay 24/7- that’s the only time it retracts and I don’t feel pressure.  

I am so grateful to be reversed but it’s like can’t I just have a win after all I’ve been through, and not deal with a hernia again?  Uggh.  I really miss not having to deal with this problem.   So I’ve been wearing a belt, it helps but those are kind of uncomfortable.  I have a colonoscopy April 4 so I’ll be seeing my surgeon and asking him how long I have to heal before fixing this.  I didn’t even tell anyone I work with, because I’ve already had 4 months of medical leave this year…..they would not be thrilled to know I’ll need an additional surgery.  Plus, my main concern right now is healing and finding out if I’m cancer free……scared to have a colonoscopy so soon after reversal, and hoping they don’t find anything.  Once I am through that, and have the info from my surgeon, I will figure out if and when I’m dealing with the hernia! 

Glad you are doing well!  

MoeMoe

Dexie, so glad you are feeling good and getting back to your normal. I’m scared of another hernia myself because I feel a small knot at one of my incisions. It’s uncomfortable but not painful. I see the surgeon on Wednesday. The hernia stuck out for me as well, it was like a third boob LOL it wasn’t so bad at first but I lost sooooo much weight, then it became unsightly. Hopefully yours won’t cause too much more problems and you can get it fixed. I did see on Amazon that there are smaller thinner binders, maybe you can try one of those. I wonder if there is an increase risk of hernia with closing the stoma site as opposed leaving it open or vice versa. I feel like I’m at risk because there will be a gap there until it heals but who knows, I’m asking the doc next week. I’m glad you’re healing and feeling good, it’s a long road from stoma to reversal and not just physically but the emotional toll and trauma is really tough. You have already gone thru some pretty rough stuff and made it through and that’s a HUGE victory! Strut your stuff my beautiful friend!! I’m going to say a special prayer for you every day until your April 4 appt keep me posted. Sending good vibes and sunshine your way!! 

DexieB

Thanks friend!  Yes I got a thin binder for under my clothes, seems to work ok.   I believe a knot on your incision is normal, just normal healing. But your doc will know for sure.  I am probably more susceptible than most for hernia because I had gallbladder surgery before my emergency surgery, and the reversal was surgery #3.  So not totally unexpected, but it just sucks.  Thanks for your support and keep on healing ❤️‍🩹 !