Day 2 ileostomy reversal!

Replies
Views
amymariefred

Finally after 5.5 months I am reconnected! I had a temporary ileostomy due to colon cancer, no radiation or chemo needed. 

If you’ve never read my posts before, I’m open and don’t hold back. :)

Well I had my first “evacuation” from my reconnected plumbing. Totally bright red and kinda surprising! But my doctor said it’s normal. Glad to report I still have some tone to help me get to the restroom in enough time with those cheek squeezes!

I had a lot of trouble with nausea last night so was moved back to NPO. Apparently hiccups cause issues with vomiting and hiccups are normal after anesthesia (although I’ve never had them).  But today I farted and can eat slowly!

Curious if anyone has had a “pen” drain before? Does it hurt to be removed? I assume I may go home tomorrow and thus have it removed soon. 

Thank you all for your words of wisdom and suggestions over the last months. I learned a lot. I’m nervous about fecal incontinence at home but at least I’ll have my own shower to clean up in. 

How did you keep your wound dry while showering?  How long did it take for the stoma site to heal? Any special wound care tips?  Thanks again! I’m always here for quality too. 

MoeMoe

Congrats on your reversal!! Yay!! Praying your recovery is quick and each day you feel better and better!! 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,520 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

DexieB

Hello,  I am 7 weeks post colostomy reversal. I was released from the hospital on day 3.  I didn’t ever have to cover my wounds in the shower, I could get them wet and the glue from the laparoscopic incisions fell off on its own.  At 6 weeks my old stoma site was pretty well healed and the huge scab fell off….i had no staples, it healed from the inside out.
I didn’t have any accidents at home, but wore adult diapers for the first few nights just in case.  The first few days my stomach gurgled a ton, but then my bowels were pretty much back to pre-ostomy status within a few days.  Just rest a lot, stay hydrated and follow your docs instructions.  Congratulations! 

IGGIE
Reply to DexieB

G-Day DexieB,  You have done wonderful, keep up the good work. Regards IGGIE

patandwinnie55
Reply to DexieB

Congratulations of the reversal! Glad to her you are doing well. Your experience is reassuring. My reversal will be in May. 

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Beachboy

I didn't have a Penrose drain.  Surgeon put in a vaccum drain.  When I was discharged, I asked the Surgeon, "how is it coming out?"  He walked over, grabbed the line, and yanked it out!  OMG !  It really hurt.  My wife nearly fainted.