Post Colostomy Reversal: Day 5 Update and Progress

Replies
Views
MoeMoe
Mar 17, 2024 5:03 am

Hey friends! So, day 5…. I didn't wake up in pain today, took one 500 mg extra strength Tylenol before I knocked out last night and will probably do that again tonight, but I definitely do not need anything stronger or anything to get me through the day. Yay!! I hate popping pills. I do have a small amount of pain when I stand up from sitting or when I lay down in the general abdominal area, but nothing unbearable. I just move slowly and it's not so bad. I feel a stinging sensation at both ends of the stoma closure and I still have rectal pain when passing gas or pooping, but that too is not bad and goes away after the gas passes or when I get off the toilet. I am starting to get frustrated at how many times I have to go to the restroom daily. For reference, I was in there 12 times today, then I stopped counting. My bum hurts from the wiping and I'm starting to dread going to the restroom. Hopefully, I don't have to deal with this too much longer…. I think I'm going to buy diaper ointment as someone on a YouTube video suggested. Today, feeling like I might be able to start consuming my liquid vitamins and super greens again (as I have done for years) did not go well. I drank it and immediately, literally like 30 seconds after, I was in the restroom. I only went once, good thing, but because of that, I felt a stomach ache coming and I really do not need that right now. I decided to sleep it off and all was well again. Note to self: no super greens until healed 🤣🤣 it may have been too strong for my sensitive tummy, but I'm not doing that again LOL I did it to myself guys!

All else remains the same: still wearing an adult diaper at night for peace of mind, but still I have not had an accident, still have a lot of gas (not painful anymore though), using the abdominal binder during the day and still on a low fiber diet. Oh, one thing, I did not have any blood in my BMs, so I will take that small victory for today! However, I do feel like my appetite is slowly returning. Thank goodness because I do miss food! Can't wait to get off the low fiber diet and back to my normal diet. Thank you everyone for the support and well wishes. Until tomorrow, have a good night!

Morning glory
Mar 17, 2024 11:20 am

So good to hear that pain is subsiding. Your story is going to help so many.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,870 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

IGGIE
Mar 17, 2024 1:09 pm

Every day is a new day and every day it's getting better. Look forward to No: 6. Regards, Iggie

Beachboy
Mar 17, 2024 4:48 pm

Good to hear pain is becoming bearable. Be sure to dab... not wipe on the toilet. I made the mistake of wiping back when I was in the hospital. At day 5... I couldn't even touch my very sore butt.

Thanks for a very detailed accounting of your post-reversal journey.

Take care,

Dan

patandwinnie55
Mar 17, 2024 9:48 pm

Thanks for sharing - yikes! Mine is scheduled for May, and I have been looking into what to expect. Better to be prepared and learn from others' challenges.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister