Post Colostomy Reversal Day 19

Replies
Views
MoeMoe

Hi friends! So today marks 19 days post surgery and so far all is going well. This week I had blood in my stool on and off so, since my anxiety always runs high, I panicked and called my surgeon. I had bloody stool on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, not every time I had a BM but at least twice on every one of those days. EDIT: I am now only having 3-4 BMs a day and only in the mornings. Most BMs are formed. I have full control of my bowels but still somewhat painful if I hold it so I don’t do that. I can also pas gas without fear of having an accident. At first I thought it may have been the pasta and marina I ate, in my heart I knew it wasn’t but I was trying not to freak out. The doc said that was normal and not to worry because I was healing well and was healthy. She did say that I could have bloody BMs throughout the next couple of weeks and that it could also be bleeding from hemorrhoids (which I have from giving birth). She did tell me a few things to watch for like seeping blood from my bum and big blood clots (which I am not experiencing) and to go to ER if that happens. So, okay, I feel better now especially since bleeding is not constant. I see my primary care doc on Tuesday for the swelling I’m having in my pubic area, my surgeon said the swelling is not consistent with a reversal however, I did not have this type of swelling until I got my stoma. Hopefully he can refer me to someone who could figure it out. It isn’t painful nor discolored, it’s just a big bulge. Hope everyone has a super fantastic weekend and Happy Easter if you celebrate that!! Be well friends! 

Beachboy

Hey MoeMoe !

The slow road to recovery sure has twists, turns, and bumps.  

Thanks for the detailed progress reports.

Cheers 

Dan

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,536 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

IGGIE

G-Day MoeMoe,   I think all you have said is classed as fairly normal for what you have been through but best to check it out. I think your on your way to a very good result. People will thank you for your Journal if they are heading in the same direction so on their behalf THANK YOU. Regards IGGIE

Morning glory

I am glad you're  doing so well. Good that you called the Dr. On the bleeding; so now that your mind was set at ease. Continued  healing. Happy Easter.

MoeMoe

Thank you Morning Glory, I sure did need peace of mind before the weekend.  Happy Easter 🐣 

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
DexieB

Hey there.  I understand exactly how you feel with the blood in stool thing...I had that 10 years ago, which is what prompted my colonoscopy at age 40 because my grandpa died of colon cancer.  No polyps - turned out to be hemmorhoids (from childbirth), but internal - so I didn't know I had them. Fast forward to last year, no bleeding but stage 1 colon cancer. 

I didn't have any blood in the 2 months after my reversal surgery until recently - not consistent and not a lot, but it has happened a few times and freaks me out each time because all I can think about now is the C word.  I think my sudden return to higher fiber has irritated my old hemmorhoids a bit and that's hopefully all it is....but yeah, it's always scary to see blood in your stool or on the TP!!!  As you probably know I'm getting a colonoscopy in a few days so that will see anything if something happens to be there...but I don't think I will ever not be scared about seeing blood!  Glad yours is normal.  

Maybe your swelling is some kind of lymphedema?  Hoping you find answers!

MoeMoe
Reply to DexieB

DexieB, yes I’m following your story and praying for you girl! I believe your colonoscopy is on the 4th you mentioned, I’m praying all will be good for you. Yea, bloody stool is scary since it isn’t a normal thing to see. I’m hoping it’s just a hemorrhoid flare up and the bleeding will stop soon. The bleeding started when I started adding fiber to my diet, I’m vegetarian so all I eat are beans and veggies LOL thanks for telling me you experienced something similar. Doc said it could last for a few weeks or longer and to add more fiber so I’ll just have to see how this pans out. Thank you for sharing your story, I’m rooting for you my friend!! 

DexieB
Reply to MoeMoe

Thanks MoeMoe- did you find out anything about your swelling?

MoeMoe
Reply to DexieB

Nope, doc said to give it a few months and as long as there is no pain or discoloration it’s fine. He said that it’s probably from the back to back surgeries and since I’m 50, healing takes a bit longer due to aging. Hopefully he’s right and it will get better over these next few months. Thx for checking on me 😁