Introduction of New Member :)

Replies
Views
Marjatta
Reply to TerryLT

Hello Ms. TerryLT,

Thanks for the big welcome! (I hope your spring weather is better than ours right now ... we just had two days of snow! Ugh!)

Your emergency surgery sounds like mine in that my life changed radically overnight. I appreciate being alive, but like you said, this forum is full of kind, helpful people that support a person with the emotional and practical adjustment, more that mere words can express. 

Yup, I certainly won't be shy to ask questions to this awesome group! :)

M

xo

Marjatta
Reply to eefyjig

Hi eefyjig,

"Emotional lifesavers" sums it up perfectly! Thanks for the welcome! :)

M

xo

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,537 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Marjatta
Reply to Axl

Hi Axl from Oz,

Thank you for the welcome! You're the first person I've met from Australia. :)

M

xo 

rlevineia

Welsome to our world.  Battled UC/Crohns for 2+ yrs.  GI dept gave me C Diff, during a proceedure.  Ate my remaining colon up, like a hungry bear.   Collapsed, like you  and my neighbor took me to the ER.   Went from 185 to 107 lbs.  Ended up in Mayo.  Post op, I failed.  Another surgery & ICU stay.  Took wks to stabilize me.  No nursing home would take me.  Too many tubes coming out of me.  They got it down to two & off to a filthy smelly home.  3.5 months later, I got home.  Take your time, healing takes a while.  My "Fig Tree:

Nini4

Welcome! The folks on this forum are amazing. I struggled in the beginning and the encouragement everyone gave me helped me heal and get through the depression and hopeless feelings.  I'm 6 months post op from my colostomy operation, and better than I've been in years. The greatest advice I have heard here is to live your life, don't let the bag control your life! 

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Happy-but-Newbie

Welcome to the Family Marjatta!!!

the one where nobody wanted to be, but the one where everybody truly gets the others and help all they can :-)

Marjatta
Reply to rlevineia

Hi rlevineia,

Thanks for the welcome to this world! Having friends like you on this forum makes everything so much easier emotionally.

You have certainly been through the proverbial mill a few times. When I read stories like yours, it makes me feel that if you can do it, so can I! You are very brave to have weathered all of that and finally got home. And you still have the compassion to wish me well and let me know I am not alone.  :)

Amazed,

M

xo

Marjatta
Reply to Nini4

Hi Nini4,

You are so right ... don't let the bag control your life. I love that philosophy and with the strength of all of you, I will make it there!

We are so much more than our problems; they don't define us unless we let them. I'm also battling depression (doc put me on antidepressants) and it's slowly lifting every day. Time is certainly the greatest healer.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

M

xo

Marjatta
Reply to Happy-but-Newbie

Hi Happy-but-Newbie!

Thanks for the welcome to the "family." You are right - we didn't choose to be here, but every single member of this forum has made my transition so much easier. :)  I hope someday to be equally helpful to others.

M

xo

DexieB

Welcome!  I have been where you are...surprise emergency colostomy, long hospital ordeal, etc.  This group lifted my spirits and answered my questions, they are the best.  You are in good hands!  :)

Barbiedoll34c

Hi Marjatta!  You are one lucky lady, and you know why?  Because you discovered this site, and everyone here understands what you are going thru, and is more than happy to help you, and share their experiences as well!   I had my surgery in November 22, and am still getting adjusted to my new “normal”, and it really isn’t as bad as you would think.  I have learned to always have emergency clothing with me, in case of an accident, (it could happen, so just be ready for it) have snacks and water with me at all times, (I am always hungry, and yes, you need to stay hydrated), have learned where ALL restrooms or located, (best ones to go into are the handicapped ones, complete with your very own sink!) and learned how to dress, so no one needs to know about my new friend, Gabriella!!  There is much to learn, but you are not alone!  Just keep that in mind, and you will be fine.  Any questions you might have?  This is place to be!  

Marjatta
Reply to DexieB

Hi DexiB,

Thank you for the warm welcome! Indeed, I do feel I am in good hands with all of you (and you just lifted my spirits)!

M

xo

Marjatta
Reply to Barbiedoll34c

Hi Barbiedoll34c,

Thanks for the warm welcome! I agree that I am one lucky lady to have found all of you!  :)

Thanks also for the tips about venturing outside of one's home. I haven't done that yet, and I don't want to turn into an agoraphobic! Only my closest friends and family know about my stoma, so I do feel safe with them ... but as far as driving to the local grocery stores and running errands on my own, not so much.

Thank you for the very helpful tips! Like you, I am always hungry and thirsty. I am reviewing a lot of clothing sites as well ... just to have clothes that will flatter me and also disguise my bag. I was 130lb when I entered the hospital for this surgery, and came out 108lb (probably because they removed all of my bowels and colon). I am determined, however, to put back on some weight while strength training and eating right. It's a long road back, but I can make it (with all of you)!

M

xo

Morning glory

Welcome, I  am happy you found this amazing site. 

Marjatta
Reply to Morning glory

Hi Morning glory,

Thanks for the welcome! I am also happy that I found all of you!  :)

M

xo