Hollister pre-cut convex issues

Replies
Views
Mysterious Mose

Anyone out there using Hollister pre-cut convex wafers? Especially those with a 1 3/4" flange.

I have recently gone to these pre-cuts and I am very happy with the seal I get. But, therein lies the rub. I am having difficulty in getting the covering off the adhesive around the flange. The tab often rips when I try to remove the covering and I have to fumble around trying to loosen it without damaging the wafer. I often waste at least one wafer during a change. Has anyone else been faced with this problem? If so, have you been able to resolve it? It's very frustrating. I could go back to my supplier and/or Hollister and send these back. But, they work so damned well I don't want to go back to the ones I used before this. I have been fairly happy with Hollister products before this and really don't want to get into trying other things unless there is no choice.

Thanks for any and all input! :-)

Daniel

Bill

Hello Daniel.

I don't have that problem with wafers but I sometimes have it with other things like double-sided tape that I used to use for my baseplates.  My solution was to get two pieces of sticky tape, one on either side so that they could be pulled apart without too much hassle. There is a knack to this in that I have to make sure that the offending item is coming apart at the very edge, before I peel it back completely. I find that Sellotape and masking tape  are not very good because they comes away from plastic too easily. However, Hippo tape, Duct tape and some parcel tapes are much better. Interestingly, the double-sided carpet tape was best of all for this job and that was the tape that was causing the problems in the first place. Using this ;logic, maybe, if you sacrificed one wafer  and cut it up into strips, then that might do the job for you.
I wish you well in your experimentation!
Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,540 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

IGGIE

G-Day Daniel, I was using the 2 1/4" and had no problem, but I have just gone to the 1 3/4 and I am having the same problem. It pulls of east up to reaching the Convex then you have to really pull hard to get it off. I have an idea they could be old stock and drying out. I have just ordered new ones and will be trying them tomorrow.  Regards IGGIE

Mysterious Mose
Reply to IGGIE

Thanks, IGGIE. That sounds a lot like my issues. Unfortunately, Bill's suggestion of the Red Green approach (duct tape) did not work. I do have a few boxes of the things and will open a couple more and see what I have here before going back to my supplier.

Daniel

IGGIE
Reply to Mysterious Mose

G-Day Daniel,  Well I tried the new bach and the same problem, still have to give it a good pull to get it off. Looks like this is how it goes. They do stick well thou and I am happy with them.  Regards IGGIE

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Mysterious Mose
Reply to IGGIE

Thanks, IGGIE. I feel the same about the seal. So, I guess the benefit outweighs the issue. As long as I get the thing started before I stand naked in front of the mirror and triggering my wife's PTSD by cussing up a storm. :-)

Daniel