How Long After Ostomy Reversal Can You Drink Alcohol?

Replies
Views
Tezter
May 04, 2024 8:46 pm

Hi, I didn't drink alcohol with an ostomy. I had a reversal one month ago. How soon until you can have alcohol again?

xnine
May 04, 2024 10:24 pm

I think your time has come.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,888 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

amymariefred
May 04, 2024 11:51 pm

I drank a martini and a cider about 5 weeks out, and it gave me diarrhea. I had a beer at 7 weeks with no issues. I had a margarita at 7 weeks, and it gave me loose stool. So for now, I'm focusing on “gentler” alcohol (I'm almost 8 weeks). I think my surgeon mentioned it was okay as long as I wasn't mixing pain pills with alcohol.

Tezter
May 05, 2024 1:03 am
Reply to amymariefred

Ok, good to know. I just wanted to make sure the internal incisions were healed enough to handle. I'm pain-free and no meds since discharge.

w30bob
May 05, 2024 1:33 am
Reply to Tezter

If they weren't... you'd sure know by now! Bottoms up!

;O)

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
bowsprit
May 05, 2024 10:09 am

That's long enough, happy hour can begin, but strictly in moderation. I was in a hotel room in Thailand once with a friend, and I saw him setting up the table with drinks and goodies from the fridge. It was about one in the afternoon, so I said, 'Let's wait till it gets dark.' He got up, pulled the curtains shut, and said, 'Ok, it is dark now!'

warrior
May 05, 2024 10:49 am
Reply to Tezter

Go buy some lottery tickets. You are a lucky fella, it seems.

Blessings.

warrior
May 05, 2024 10:52 am
Reply to bowsprit

Clever friend you had there. 🤔

Party on.

TerryLT
May 05, 2024 9:24 pm

I guess like everything we eat and drink, everyone is different when it comes to alcohol too. I've never found any issues with alcohol since my ostomy. The only thing I have been conscious of is water consumption. Alcohol dehydrates you, and as someone with an ileostomy, keeping hydrated is very important. Any time I drink alcohol, I make sure to increase my water consumption to compensate.

Terry

IGGIE
May 06, 2024 2:01 pm

I have a whiskey every night and a glass of wine with my main meal, and I'm still here with no problems. I'll drink to that. Regards, IGGIE

DexieB
May 06, 2024 2:59 pm

I'm 3 months post-reversal - my surgeon never mentioned any stipulations on drinking, but I didn't want to push my luck, so I've refrained so far (except a sip here and there). I had drinks with my ostomy pre-reversal - no issues. We will see what happens over Memorial weekend LOL.

I'm wondering about internal healing and riding in our Polaris RZR, not sure I want to bounce around too much - so might be waiting on that a bit longer...

rlevineia
May 13, 2024 5:07 pm

I avoid beer, ballooning! I avoid wine, it can make my stoma act up. "Liquor is quicker" was my answer. I have several a week. Mixed drinks travel well through my 15 ft of bowel.