Ostomy Flange Breach: Waking Up to Leaks?

Replies
Views
Morrison
May 06, 2024 1:46 pm

Has anyone woken up to have the flange breached and output from the stoma coming out on the abdomen and clothes?

xnine
May 06, 2024 2:24 pm

We all have.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,888 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ben38
May 06, 2024 2:52 pm

Yes, we all do at times. Whatever we do or don't do, it's just one of those things that happens from time to time. Hope your leaks are few and far between in the future, like mine are.

kittybou
May 06, 2024 5:06 pm

Unfortunately, yes, but it makes my dog really happy. He likes smelly stuff, so it's hard not to laugh. Hopefully, it will not happen to you often.

Mysterious Mose
May 06, 2024 5:20 pm

Like Xnine said, we all have. For me, it has only happened once and I blame both myself and my ostomy nurse. She had loosened the bag to look at my stoma and I did not make sure she properly secured it afterwards. Lesson learned! :-)

Daniel

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT
May 06, 2024 5:21 pm

You haven't enjoyed life till you wake up with poop on you. 😁 It shouldn't be a common thing; if it is, something needs to be adjusted.

Mysterious Mose
May 06, 2024 5:30 pm

This post reminds me of one of the things I miss most due to having an ileostomy. That is sleeping naked. Even though I have only had nighttime leaks twice, I still can't get myself to ditch the shirt and too-big shorts that the shirt gets tucked into. But whenever I start dwelling on that, I remind myself of the alternative. :-)

Beachboy
May 06, 2024 6:28 pm

Only happened to me once. About a month post-op. I had changed to a new wafer in the morning. Snapped on a new bag, and off to work I went. After about an hour, I kept smelling... poop. Lifting my shirt revealed poop all over my lower stomach and pants top. Using a handheld mirror, I looked at the bottom of the wafer flange. It was wide open. Back when I snapped on the bag, I neglected to look at the bottom. Lesson learned: Check the bottom of your wafer flange.

aTraveler
May 06, 2024 7:31 pm

Hasn't happened in the 5 months since I returned home. I was in the hospital for 3 months, and I lost count of how many times it happened while also dealing with fistulas.

ron in mich
May 07, 2024 12:19 pm

Hi all, the only time I had a blowout was from rolling over on an inflated pouch. I've never had a complete breach of the wafer, only some seepage by my stoma and the resulting stinging feeling.

IGGIE
May 07, 2024 2:53 pm

G-Day Morrison, Yes, been there, done that, but only the once. Now I have a built-in clock that seems to wake me up at just the right time to empty a couple of times a night. Never take sleeping tablets, or you will sleep through it, and when you wake, you will have a nice big surprise. Regards, IGGIE

Hisbiscus
May 07, 2024 2:57 pm

Yep, I now keep a disposable bed pad on at night and a liquid-proof mattress cover, but it's not plastic.

Hisbiscus
May 07, 2024 2:57 pm

Yep, I now keep a disposable bed pad on at night and a liquid-proof mattress cover, but it's not plastic.

luvram13
May 14, 2024 3:50 pm
Reply to ron in mich

I've only had my ostomy since Feb. I had one 2-piece separate at night. My bag was full of waste and air. I rolled over and heard it pop off. Not cool. I thought I'd get a belt to hold it on at night in the future. Funny thing is the belt holds the flange on. That is not what is coming off... haha

Oh well, maybe a 1-piece pouch instead.