Considering Not Having Reversal Surgery After Operation

Replies
Views
Dmyrick55
May 06, 2024 7:23 pm

Hi. I had my operation in February and am tentatively scheduled for reversal in August or September. Am considering not having the reversal surgery. I'm 68. Any thoughts?

Justbreathe
May 06, 2024 7:40 pm

Yes, many thoughts - but mostly questions

Type of ostomy?
Reason for ostomy?
Amount of time they (docs) tell you for recovery?
Confidence in gastroenterologist, surgeons, etc.?
Your willingness to accept changes/issues to your desired outcome?
Time researched?
Just to mention a few… jb

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,888 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Dmyrick55
May 06, 2024 8:32 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Colostomy, diverticulitis with perforations, peritonitis, abscess sacs in the abdominal cavity.

Great confidence in the surgeon.

Just starting to think. Possible reversal set for August or September. DM

aTraveler
May 06, 2024 9:12 pm

The following link has ideas on reversal considerations:

https://www.meetanostomate.org/discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31833#244745

Justbreathe
May 07, 2024 12:55 am
Reply to Dmyrick55

Dmyrick55 - Glad to hear you are just starting to think about a possible reversal… there are many “experiences” shared on this site and you have definitely come to the right place for research. Many here have different opinions and experiences, both good and bad - and I am guessing there are many successes that are never again heard from on this forum.

The final decision is solely on you - read up, learn, and be sure your final decision is yours and yours alone… use your own good judgment… I too was torn as to what to do (3-1/2 years ago). The folks on this site have “lived this decision” and that information was very helpful. My family and friends (all non-ostomates) shared their feelings and all were helpful and appreciated, but the final decision, I realized, and the reasons why I chose not to be reversed were totally up to me.
Best wishes… jb

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
IGGIE
May 07, 2024 2:46 pm
Reply to Dmyrick55

G-Day Dmyric, It's up to you, but I can tell you my story. I had my colon removed in 2004, and for 18 years I had lots of problems, always looking for a toilet, and the feeling of wanting to go was painful up to 10 times a day. But after 18 years, I told my surgeon to get rid of it, and I have had my stoma and my butt stitched up now for 3 years, and I love my stoma and wish I had done it years ago. But that's me, it's up to you now. Regards, IGGIE

DexieB
May 07, 2024 2:51 pm

Hello - I had a colostomy for 8 months due to perforation of my sigmoid colon during a biopsy. Had peritonitis, sepsis, emergency Hartmann's procedure, and other complications during my 21-day hospital stay.

My surgeon felt comfortable doing my reversal (including fixing the large hernia I had under my colostomy) after 8 months - he said 6 months was the very minimum I needed to wait, but he waited a few extra months to let me heal more due to my serious infections. I had just turned 51 when my ordeal began. I had great confidence in him since he had saved my life once under the worst of circumstances.

I had my reversal January 30th of this year and it went great - my bathroom habits were quickly back on track with how they were pre-colostomy. I had hesitated to do the reversal because of all I had been through and also hearing some bad stories about reversals - but my surgeon was confident that I was a good candidate, and I felt it was right. I also had a friend my age whose mom had just been through a similar ordeal and had a reversal at the same time I got my colostomy. Her reversal went great - so hearing her story gave me faith.

You have time to think about the pros and cons, and hear others' stories - as JB said, it is your choice. I know there are some that don't turn out well, but I wanted to do it because I didn't want to always be wondering "what if things went great." I was okay with the colostomy, but I really hated the hernia - so that was a big factor for me. Of course, I had some pain during my recovery, but doctors had been telling me all along it would be easier than my first surgery... and it was. The pain was very manageable next to what I had been through. I am not trying to sway your decision one way or another... this was just my experience, it is totally your choice! I'm sure you will do what is right for you. Best of luck!

Ben38
May 07, 2024 3:09 pm

Take your time making your decision. There's no rush. You can phone your doctor and tell them what you're thinking and want to postpone your reversal surgery until you're sure in your own mind what you want. A reversal was never an option for me, but I did have the option of having a J-pouch. It took me some time, but I decided it wasn't for me. I never had any regrets about keeping my ileostomy.

Dmyrick55
May 08, 2024 12:49 pm
Reply to IGGIE

Thanks, Iggie. Appreciate your feedback. Glad things are going well.

Dmyrick55
May 08, 2024 12:52 pm
Reply to DexieB

Thank you, DexieB. I am glad to hear that yours went well! Thanks for responding. I have lots of thinking to do.

Dmyrick55
May 08, 2024 12:56 pm
Reply to Ben38

Thanks, Ben38. You are right... I can breathe, take time to make a decision, and do what I feel is right for me. Glad to know that I am not crazy for possibly deciding to keep what I have now.

Dmyrick55
May 08, 2024 12:59 pm
Reply to Justbreathe

Thank you, Justbreathe. I have breached the subject with a couple of family members with mixed reactions, but you are right... it has to be my decision in the end. I appreciate your feedback, and if you think of anything else I might want to know or consider, please send it.

Dmyrick55
May 08, 2024 1:00 pm
Reply to aTraveler

Thanks, Travelers. I will check that out.

DexieB
May 09, 2024 2:16 pm
Reply to Dmyrick55

There are also lots of stories on Reddit of people's reversal experiences - a good place to get info!