Swimming and Water Activities with Suprapubic Catheter and Colostomy Bag

Replies
Views
Lemonade486
May 06, 2024 8:24 pm

I had my initial surgery last July due to vulvar cancer that had spread to my rectum. I also had a Foley catheter up until last Thursday when I had the suprapubic procedure. I am curious about swimming and any water activities. If anyone has heard of or been through something like this, I would appreciate your feedback.

kodykeys26
May 15, 2024 4:02 pm

I've had my ileostomy since I was 14 (now 22) and for swimming and water adventures I just use a one-piece swimsuit that is snug around my abdomen and put barrier strips on the edges of where the wafer stops for extra protection against water. It helps if you empty your bag before putting on your swimsuit and going in the water and also emptying every 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on if you had anything to eat or drink before you went in. It makes it more comfortable and keeps the bag flat.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,886 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.