Preparing for Ileostomy Reversal: Tips for a Smooth Recovery

Replies
Views
Tezter
Oct 16, 2023 10:47 pm

Hi, is there anything I should be doing now or in the coming months if they plan to reverse my ileostomy? I don't get the mucus stools or anything. Should I be doing enemas occasionally or something to keep my bowels active?

gentlejohn
Oct 16, 2023 10:55 pm

Usually, you do not need to do anything except a probable bowel prep, which your surgeon will outline for you. It depends on what has been previously done, and your bowels should remember what to do when the time comes to start to function.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,864 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mysterious Mose
Oct 17, 2023 12:13 am

Pelvic floor exercises are highly recommended, and any other form of exercise that will strengthen your anal muscles. Walking a lot is good. Your surgeon will probably check the strength of your anal muscles, and he/she should have relevant suggestions. Do you have an ileostomy or colostomy? Do you have any colon left, and is your rectum intact? If you have an ileostomy with no colon, you will still be looking at emptying your rectum as frequently as you empty your bag. Then there is the possible issue of nighttime incontinence. But, you are pretty young, so any way you look at it, you are a better candidate than old guys like me. :-)

Daniel

Tezter
Oct 20, 2023 10:29 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Everything is still there. Well, except the 14 cm of ileum removed. The ileostomy was a choice I had to make in order to get back on chemotherapy (lymphoma) after a bowel perforation. Fixing the perforation all the way would set chemo back too long. So the plan is to put me back together after all my chemo treatment is done. Tbh, this is worse than chemo. I can't stand it.