Preventing Nighttime Stoma Bag Leaks: Need Advice

Replies
Views
sds100
Dec 23, 2023 9:46 pm

I constantly wake up with really bad leakage from the stoma bag/base. I've tried different kinds of bases, which didn't take care of the problem. Then I tried using Elastic Barrier Strips, and I got an extreme rash at the outline around the stoma.
I also realized that a maxi bag gets extremely full in a short amount of time.
I try to eat early and lightly in the evening so it won't happen, but it also hasn't taken care of the problem.
I'm so frustrated.
Anyone have an idea what I can do/use?

Justbreathe
Dec 23, 2023 10:02 pm

Are you using a barrier ring around your stoma - either placed on the bag or on your skin first? It sounds like it is leaking only when you lay down, right, or does it leak all the time? Do you have a colostomy or ileostomy - output from ileostomy can be very liquid which tends to leak more easily. I just started using Psyllium Powder (to thicken output) and it has been very successful in making the output more like the consistency of oatmeal as was recommended by my surgeon. This may help you as well? JB

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,889 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ostoberry
Dec 23, 2023 10:27 pm

I have a colostomy, so my output is usually not too loose, but I still got leakage after a day or two. I started using barrier rings. At first, I put them on the wafer, but now I mold them around the stoma and then put my wafer on. Now I can usually get 5-7 days before changing. I warm the ring up under my arm for a couple of minutes to soften it to make it easier to mold. If it tears, I just put the tear at the top. I tried extender samples I received from Hollister, and they were good. I bought cheaper ones from Amazon, and they irritated the skin. If I get the ring and wafer on without any misplacements, I don't need extenders. Trial and error, you'll get there. Stay strong.

Mysterious Mose
Dec 24, 2023 12:03 am

Are you using a flat wafer or convex?

Mysterious Mose
Dec 24, 2023 12:05 am

Are you using a flat wafer or convex?

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
warrior
Dec 24, 2023 3:07 am

She has a colostomy from another thread she first wrote.

Leaks and leakage totally suck.

Since you are new to this, it's going to take time and patience and acceptance of what will work for you.

Saying you leak at night is pinpointing your complaint.

Assuming no leakage during the day is understood.

At night, trying to sleep on your back seems impossible; however, there are tricks to that.

Staying on topic about leaks sounds to me your issue is not a liquid leak but a solid leak. It's still messy, I realize that, but you do need to tell us a few things about your appliance.

The type, if a seal is used, one piece or two, and if you wear a belt or wrap?

Leaks from the bottom while on your back is new to me. Mine blow out at the sides, so the question begs, do you have liquid or solid leaking? If it's the former, it sounds like adhesion or lack of it at the bottom.

If the latter, as a solid sitting at the base of your appliance means it isn't moving to the lower bag. It's too solid to move, or you may need to sleep on your side instead of your back. Movements are what I mean. Switch from back to left side, for example.

Also, eating early should help, but digesting food can take 6 to 10 hours.

I digest food in about 8 hours, but sometimes as little as four.

Yeah, you're going to need to focus on your foods at night.

Write down what you eat and the time, a short weekly journal perhaps.

You are in the primary weeks or month of recovery. Once you learn your schedule, it will help with what ends up in your bag at night.

And once you get a proper fitting appliance, the rest is history.

I have an ileo.

It is different than a colostomy.

But my output is mostly semi-solid. At night and in the morning, though, it's like Niagara Falls.

Don't give up, kiddo. We all went through this "shit management."

M32023
Dec 24, 2023 6:10 am

Yeah, early on I experienced this as well. It's definitely trial and error for me. I rarely get leaks anymore, but like someone said earlier, being able to thicken output will help. So eat more peanut butter and rice, etc., which will thicken it. If it's super active overnight, you can always take an Imodium, which has worked well in the past. I sleep on my back and elevated as well, not a lot but enough to keep the output flowing down instead of laying flat where it can just seep through seals, etc. The bags I found to be best are the Sensura Mio 1 piece with a protective seal barrier ring, which I love as they aren't super sticky and messy like the other ones. I hope it gets better for you.

warrior
Dec 24, 2023 3:03 pm
Reply to M32023

Excellent advice. I had thought of lowering the front of my bed.

Like the saying, shit rolls downhill? This might be very true. Ha ha.

Jack up the rear of the bed or lower the front seems like a common-sense idea.

No pooling = less saturation and leaks.

🛌

imsafanwa
Dec 25, 2023 9:30 pm

I've been sleeping in a recliner for this very reason. This has pretty much solved the nighttime blowout problem.

Mysterious Mose
Dec 27, 2023 9:37 pm
Reply to warrior

Jack up the rear and lower the front? And wear the back upside down? I would think you would want to do just the opposite, unless you sleep with your head at the foot of the bed. Of course, I suppose the answer to this dilemma is that you consider the foot of the bed as the front. That must be it, as this caused me some consternation when I first read it. 🤪

Daniel