Donating Unopened Ostomy Supplies: Is It Possible?

Replies
Views
cjannucci
Jan 03, 2024 5:01 pm

I have about 5 unopened boxes of ostomy supplies because I was sent too much every month by my insurance company... much more than I needed. Is it donatable if the individual boxes of supplies have never been opened? I would hate to throw it all away.

AlexT
Jan 03, 2024 5:07 pm

Yep, you can donate.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,890 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine
Jan 03, 2024 8:13 pm

Friends of Ostomates Worldwide is an organization that will take donations. Use Osto AI and ask about donations.

Beachboy
Jan 03, 2024 9:40 pm

Your local hospital should accept donations too. I donate extra medical supplies to my surgeon.

Mysterious Mose
Jan 03, 2024 9:52 pm

If you have a local ostomy support group, they will usually gladly take donations.

Daniel

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Riva
Jan 03, 2024 10:01 pm

Your local ostomy support group in NJ will gladly accept them.

NancyAnn
Jan 04, 2024 10:07 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Before donating to a support group, please check and find out if they have a donation closet. Otherwise, they may not have a place to store them.

Your best bet is to send them to Friends of Ostomates Worldwide, or even call your supplier and see if they will take them back.

warrior
Jan 04, 2024 4:15 pm

I'm a keeper.

This stuff is expensive, and if the products still work for you, I'd keep them.

Always good to have a backup plan.

I give to the local hospital wound care department.

The product didn't fit me anymore. I outgrew it and found a better product.

Don't throw away anything 🤦‍♂️