Flying Tips for Stoma Bag Users: First Trip Abroad After Colonoscopy

Replies
Views
patriciacampbell802
Jan 08, 2024 8:26 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has tips for flying. What kind of stoma bags do you use when going abroad? This will be my first trip abroad since I had my colonoscopy. x

xnine
Jan 08, 2024 8:47 pm

An empty one.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,889 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mysterious Mose
Jan 08, 2024 9:18 pm

Ditto with Xnine. Just make sure you have enough supplies when traveling.

Bryce
Jan 08, 2024 9:37 pm

Hi Patricia,

Take twice what you think you will need. Pack your supplies separately, e.g., 1 set(s) carry-on (Ostomy supplies don't usually count against the total); 1 set(s) in packed luggage; same for the second bag if you have one. Make a list of your manufacturer's contacts in the countries you are visiting - all the major brands are worldwide, and I have found this useful. Hard to do, but try and relax and enjoy the trip.

Best,

Bryce

Riva
Jan 08, 2024 10:29 pm

Enjoy - and remember to stay hydrated.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
elwick
Jan 09, 2024 9:39 am

It depends on how far you are going and how long you are in the air. Aeroplane toilets are not the best if you need to empty or change a bag. Eat and drink lightly. I set myself a limit of 4/5 hours in the air, and so far I've had no problems. Don't worry, enjoy the experience. Good luck. Elwick

lyndaj
Jan 14, 2024 3:03 pm

Hi Patricia, I have recently posted a message regarding an item I use in my daily life with a colostomy. The product is "Flushable Ostomy Pouch Liners." Complete instructions come with the product, which I find has been invaluable. Basically, you insert the liner in your colostomy bag/pouch, and when required to change, simply pull out through the top of the pouch, flush in the toilet, and insert a fresh one. They are not for use with septic tanks.

Enjoy your holiday.