Diet and exercise

Replies
Views
Capojapo

Hello all, I’m new to this site.

just had surgery last month and now have a permanent ileostomy.
very curious to know how long it took you to go back to the gym and what your diet is like.

do you use a stoma belt like a stealth belt? If so, how is it?

AlexT

I own a stealth belt and not sure how much protection one gives you from a hernia type injury. I think I’d lean more towards a belt like a MoviBrace or a NuHope for better support even though they don’t hold your bag in a pouch. Everyone’s recovery time will be different but the best thing you can do is go extremely slow and very gradually build yourself back up. Your biggest concern is a hernia now. Slow and gradual. Personally, a month after surgery is too soon IMO but to each their own. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,525 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Danno

I use a stealth belt basically 24/7. I have a few types for different reasons. (every day use, gym, water) 

Not sure if they actually protect you from a hernia, but it’s a nice feeling when everything is all tight and snug. Especially at the gym. 

I had my surgery in January 2023 and did no gym for 3 months. After that I went very slow and just listened to my body. I used to lift a lot of weight prior to my surgery so my body still had quite a bit of muscle. My abs were very far from beginner, so this definitely helped with my progression. 

As for food, same thing. I can eat almost anything now, but I had to try everything slowly and learn over time. 

This is just my experience. You can probably get a hernia just for coughing too hard. And some foods will block one person up and not another. You gotta learn what your body is capable of and decided if it’s worth pushing further. 

amymariefred

I was cleared to go to the gym and physical therapy after 8 weeks. I’m not 3 months post ileostomy and still haven’t gone to the gym (mostly as a COVID precaution). I would like to use a treadmill or recumbent bike. 
I wear a stealth belt at work. I bought the horizontal one and I don’t like it because it adds so much bulk with my folded pouch inside. I don’t hang it horizontally because the filter got clogged too quickly when I did. Maybe a vertical one would be better. Wait to order one until your stoma size is consistent because the opening on the belt is based on how big your wafer/flange is. I’ve gone down from 1.5” to 1” in three months. I had expected it not to go down anymore after 2.5 but it did.

I wear an ostomy wrap all other times, day and night. Takes the weight of the bag off your stoma. 

rlevineia

First off.  BE careful w/ your new friend.  I got a small prolapse from coughing & not pressing on it.  Go slow.  Everyone is different.  Time for PT?  Chose one w/ pelvic floor & prolapse specialty.  I started w/ a Rehab Gym & got worse.  No stoma experience.  No belt will stop a hernia, just relieve pain & reduce expansion.  I use the Stealth belt & have 3.  If I am doing something that can hit my stoma, I slip their Stoma Guard over it.   I can hike 10 mls, if I want.  Usually 15-21 mls a wk.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
britton.t.johnson

Hello and welcome! For myself, I’m not sure I “got back to normal” as much as I “settled into a new normal.” Which isn’t as bad or intimidating as it sounds. It just kind of became the new way of life. I had an ileostomy for 4 months while undergoing radiation treatment, and then I had a pretty drastic surgery which included converting to a colostomy which is permanent. Due to my surgery having such a prolonged and difficult recovery, I’m still taking it easy on exercise after almost a year. But it’s not due to my stoma. I don’t feel like it causes me any hindrances from doing what I want physically, other than I’m very cautious about laying on my stomach for any reason, even sleeping. But as far as walking or even running, I don’t see it causing any issues. I do wear a stealth belt daily. I love the support it provides, and unless my bag is full, I love that it makes it nearly undetectable underneath a shirt. Keeps everything flat against me, snug, and supported. But if the bag is full, it’s just not going to be easily hidden. I will say having a colostomy now, output isn’t much thicker and heavier, and there have been times I’ve been very thankful to have the belt on. The weight of a full bag without it seems like it would be begging for the wafer seal to open up and cause a mess. But I’ve never had that happen *knock on wood*. I would sleep with the stealth belt on at first, because I liked the support so much. But I eventually got comfortable taking it off at night, as I can imagine it’s almost like taking off a bra for the ladies =) 

I’ve now had an ostomy (combined time for ileo and colo) for over a year. It took some getting used to, no doubt. We had a love/hate relationship for a while there. But now we’re pretty good friends, and I’m thankful to have it as the alternative for me would have been zero fun. 
My work situation changed significantly (I was working outdoors in a somewhat laborious position, but since have been moved to strictly office work, primarily at home. This also was more due to the recovery from my surgery, which has had other complications, but I did work in the field for a short time back when I had my ileostomy. I felt like I was nearing 100% as far as physical ability and stamina, but then the big surgery rocked things a good bit. The Lord has taken care of me (along with OUTSTANDING bosses and people around me), but overall, life has gotten back to pretty much normal aside from other surgery-related matters. 

Pace yourself, don’t let yourself get too frustrated with things. Every person is different, and as my surgeon told me, “YOU are going to become the expert on your ostomy.” You’ll get to know it very well. What works for you and what doesn’t. Same for diet. I was very careful when I had an ileo, because I was terrified of a blockage. But the PA told me she’s been doing it for 17 years and could count on one hand the number of times someone had a blockage due to diet. Ask them for some guidelines or to put you in touch with a dietician if you have specific questions, they should have plenty of resources to point you toward. Otherwise, don’t be shy to reach out on here. I’m not a premium member, but I’d be glad to exchange emails if I can be of any help. Blessings!! 

Capojapo
Reply to AlexT

I see… thanks AlexT

Capojapo
Reply to Danno

Thanks Danno. 
I ordered a stealth belt but it’s going to take around 2-3 weeks until I receive it.

Im freaking out about get a hernia.

Capojapo
Reply to amymariefred

Hi amymariefelred,

I will wait until 3 months before I start working out. I will just walk around and build myself up slowly.

i had orderd a horizontal stealth belt yesterday and should be receiving it in 2-3 weeks. 
I just hope it is comfortable for me…I’ll just have to wait and see.

Dodnt know about an ostomy wrap…will look into that….

thanks a lot!

Capojapo
Reply to rlevineia

Hi rlevineia,

thanks for the info below. 
Il’NÀake no it really slow 

Capojapo
Reply to britton.t.johnson

Hi Britton.t.johnson,

Thank you so much for the advise. 
This is new to me and the hernia and food blockages were the 2 things that freaked me out after my surgery. 
I’m making sure I chew my food a lot more than I did before and hydrating too. 
I read reviews from people saying that the stealth belt is very good and so I purchased one yesterday but will take 2-3 weeks before I receive it. 
I don’t know of any other brands aside from stealth belt that makes stoma belts.

im not a premium member too but would like to be in touch with you for advise/support.

thank you so much.

PaddyMan

I'm 2 weeks out from my emergency colostomy surgery. Was very active before (Jiu Jitsu 5x a week and weight lifting 6x a week). Getting antsy to get back. I've got a stationary bike which seems to be ok for the abdominals hernia wise. Surely there's safe exercises to do that won't put us at risk of hernias?

Obviously heavy lifting is out of the question but there's got to be a list of exercises somewhere or some sort of physio rehab plan that is safe to follow. I understand that it's going to be a gradual build up but it doesn't make sense to me that inactivity for 2-3 months would be the optimal route for recovery.

AlexT
Reply to PaddyMan

There are all kinds of low impact exercises one can do. Even the things you mentioned can be done in a very low impact way. 

Oscar23

Pre cancer I was very active so I feel you. Gym, running, swimming and martial arts weekly. I went kayaking (in a bay) about 3 months Post surgery (with my new ileostomy). It wasn’t a good idea. My staples came open and had to take it easy for additional months. I got back into yoga about 3 years later. Also, careful carrying heavy tvs or such as we are much more prone to hernias. I did basic movements about a year out, but didn’t really start training again (waiting for other corrective surgeries) about 5 years later.