Seeking Advice on Successful Ileostomy Reversals: Pros and Cons

Replies
Views
Twisted Sister
Jan 13, 2024 6:26 pm

I have an ileostomy. I had a J-Pouch for 38 years. I had emergency surgery in May of 2023. I am interested in finding ostomates who have had successful reversals connecting their small intestine to their rectum. The pros and cons of this surgery.

w30bob
Jan 14, 2024 3:27 am

Hi Twist,

I had the option of reconnecting my small bowel to the 1/3 of my colon that's left... and I said hell no. I spent most of my young adult life figuring out where bathrooms were wherever I went, and it wasn't fun. I would never want my life to revolve around bathrooms ever again, although the large chain department stores do have the nicest bathrooms! If you have a terminal ileum, ileocecal valve, and your sphincter is intact... err... uhhh... maybe? If any of those is missing... think long and hard about what you're contemplating. And note that your sphincter isn't water-tight, as it's designed to hold back solid waste, not what comes out of your small bowel, and your anus isn't going to like any continued wetness. You'll end up filling your underwear with baby powder... and it still won't work. But I'm not you and your situation, so hopefully others on here can give you some better, more specific info, who've done what you're thinking about.

;O)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,870 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

IGGIE
Jan 15, 2024 3:35 pm

If you had a J-Pouch for 38 years, then you had your small intestine fitted to your butt through the J-Pouch, so you should already know. Regards, Iggie