Hungry over night!!

Replies
Views
JustMeRLB

So my tummy takes about 3 hours to empty to bag… so when we eat dinner at 6…it out by 9 ish. I am wondering if anyone else gets starving in the middle of the night. And what snacks do you recommend? 
tia! 

warrior

Wow 3 hours is your turn around from digesting food to exhausting it  to your pouch?? 

usually takes me six to eight hours but then I guess my diet is different than yours ..

I just happen to eat a lot of marshmallows and a lot of binding foods and I can probably set my watch to the  # of times I need to go to the bathroom ..so if you have high liquid output I can understand your situation but yeah marshmallows help me out tremendously and I usually have a semi-solid output and yeah even though I eat early,   I get hungry at 9:00 and I usually just have some marshmallows.. it's probably the safest thing you can eat ...at that late hour..I don't know ....that's just my opinion.. it works for me..

have i mentioned marshmallows🤣?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,522 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beachboy

Usually takes me a day or 2 before I get any output.  But, even when not hungry.. I love to munch.

kittybou

Blueberry poptarts

w30bob

Hi JMR,

Mine is about an hour and a half.........so consider yourself lucky!  But what you're seeing isn't ALL you consume coming out that quickly, just what doesn't find a spot in between some villi to be digested, or what your bile couldn't fully break down.  You can eat whatever you want for a snack, but if you're concerned about filling and popping your bag while you sleep.....eat 'low residue' foods.  They typically produce the least waste.  Or eat whatever you want and set that alarm clock for 3 hours and you're all set.  Just note that your motility slows down at night, so you might get a bit longer before your bag fills when sleeping.  I typically grab a couple low-sugar protein bars as the last thing I eat, as those are low residue for me.  Just Google 'low residue foods' and then do a little trial and error and you'll be golden!     

;O)

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
warrior
Reply to Beachboy

yes we do know yur addiction

to Godiva chocolates. 🤦

warrior

Tia, that photo of wbob?

he knows what he is talking about.

the bench photo is really  HIS before and after profile picture.

🤣🤪

AlexT

Golden Oreos with cold milk. 

CrappyColon

I’m eating popcorn because I wanted salt… don’t do as I do? Isn’t that how the saying goes? 😉

IGGIE

It depends if you want to lose weight or gain weight.

ron in mich

Hi Tia my last snack around 8ish is usually a yogurt or one of those single serve cups of applesauce and i usually sprinkle some cinnamon on the applesauce.

warrior
Reply to AlexT

double stuffed filled cream.!!

Lady Laffalot
Reply to CrappyColon

I've had an ileostomy for a little over a year now and was told not to eat popcorn or any corn at all for fear of blocking your bag.  Does that not pose a problem for you?

Beachboy
Reply to warrior

Sees chocolates are great too.  Got a box of nuts and chews for Christmas from Mrs Beachboy.  I hid em behind the couch... they be mine!!! No sharing..  Ah ha ha ha haaaaas

CrappyColon
Reply to Lady Laffalot

Hey Lady, you’re right about being told not to eat it unless it’s heirloom popcorn… that’s why I said don’t do as I do 😉. I have no colon, but had a reversal (ileorectal anastomosis) a little over a year ago. I’m still not supposed to eat much of it. In fact, my small intestine really hates me today.  I’ve been doing food aversion therapy off and on the past year and pretty much if I feel like eating it, I eat it. My favorite ‘snack’  for the moment is BlueBunny banana split ice cream. I’m ok getting protein from ice cream 😁

I made homemade veggie soup earlier in the week and used some corn in that. It’s so cooked it breaks down easier but I still try to watch the amount because knowing me I will do something not smart and go snack on too much of popcorn for no colon.  😁

warrior
Reply to Beachboy

and then...the cat...🙀 went behind the couch.. meeee- ooooh.

infinitycastle52777

I have a pretty fast turn out too. What I do is eat a little something at 8:30 with my night time meds. You probably won't like my snack idea... I use what I call veggie pouches and fruit pouches. They are baby food that comes in a pouch and you just suck it out. It keeps the calories down, provides a little food, and works really well because it is also healthy. It also gives you extra doses of fruits and veggies. (As an ileostomate getting veggies and fruits can be hard for me so I have had to adapt.)  You can find them in a variety of different veggie and fruit combos and some with yogurt and some with oatmeal and even oatmilk pudding. They aren't that bad and it helps me not get up in the middle of the night looking for food. 

Lee

kittybou

I will check that out when I have money! Thank you!

JVM261
Reply to warrior

I’m just curious, what other binding foods do you eat besides marshmallows?

warrior
Reply to JVM261

Hi Jules .

I just saw this and I wanted to reply  now... as far as the marshmallows go,  I eat them instead of chocolate chip cookies or Pop-Tarts.. yeah I eat like I'm 5 years old ..but I eat marshmallows number one because they're convenient and number 2.  I happen to like them and I just don't want to eat any other kind of snack before I sleep.. so that's very convenient ..

the other thing I eat are at least two Bananas a Day.. yeah I go ape s*** over bananas .. I think that's a very good binding fruit ...so those are the base of the only two I really munch on and once in awhile I'll go off and have a Mounds bar beeeee---cause sometimes🎵 you feel like a nut and sometimes you don't🎵.😋