Post Surgery Rehab/Exercises

Replies
Views
PaddyMan

I'm 2 weeks post colostomy surgery and looking for some sort of rehab/exercise program to follow to get gradually build back to full activity. Is there any physio therapists on this forum or anyone who was very active prior to their surgery that has a guideline to follow?

Even just exercises (low weight/body weight) that are deemed safe in terms of hernia prevention.

aTraveler

Routines to ease you back in the flow if you are not currently seeing a PT:

https://www.convatec.com/ostomy-care/living-with-an-ostomy/lifestyle-support/me-recovery-series/

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,524 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Hi Paddy 2wk in is kinda early for working out, you may feel healed on the outside but internally not so much, if anything maybe just do some walking and gentle stretching.

TerryLT

Two weeks post surgery is too early to be doing much more than walking, and walking is really good.  Another two to four weeks and you could start some gentle exercise, being careful of lifting too much weight or stressing your abdominals too much.  You are at very high risk for hernia and need to be cognizant of that.  If you Google post ostomy surgery exercises, you will find lots of info and videos on gentle routines to help you get back in shape.  Depending on what your previous level of fitness was, you may not totally get back to where you were.  Your risk of hernia will never go away, a sad reality.  My post ostomy workout is not what it used to be, but I'm happy with my fitness level.

Terry

IGGIE

Take Ron and Terry's advice and let it all heal or your going to pop it wide open. Regards IGGIE

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
CrappyColon

My surgeons/other Drs have always prescribed PT for me after surgeries- if you’re doing what a PT says at least you know the exercises are safe for you to do. At your stage I think walking is usually the prescription 😀