Strawberries

Replies
Views
R1Kirby

I’ve had my ileostomy for eight months now. Question is, can I eat fresh strawberries with no problems.

AlexT

That’s for you to find out as everyone is different but I’d say you’re ok, just don’t eat a whole carton of them at once. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,520 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

IGGIE

I would say yes, but we are all diverant. try it and see how you go. Let us know the outcome. Regards IGGIE

Ben38

I can, but can't say if you can just try a few and see how it goes 

Morning glory

Eat a few and see. Remember  to chew well.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
CrappyColon

I can’t (yet) unless I put that fresh strawberry in a blender. Like others have said everyone is different when it comes to foods after these surgeries. 

Justbreathe

Good advice from all .. I eat them with no problem, however, I remember when my hubby had diverticulitis the docs warned against them because of the seeds.  I sometimes wonder about bananas - even tho they give me no problem, sometimes I notice tiny black specks (seeds) from them, in my drink, even after they have been in the blender …..  jb

infinitycastle52777

I don't eat them but I have never tried them since my surgery because of the seeds. I don't eat things like grapes because of the skins and other berries because of the seeds. I have read that with an ileostomy you need to avoid skins and seeds of fruits and veggies. I guess you could do as others here said and try a small amount and see. Since I recently had a blockage I am far more careful about what I eat. Having a blockage is really really not fun. I landed myself in the hospital and that was not fun at all.

Lee

Justbreathe
Reply to infinitycastle52777

Interesting… your comment caused me to “google” small intestines diverticula.  I was under the impression only the colon (large intestine) was involved - good thing I never went to medical school !!!🤔😜 Thanks!  I read further info where they claim fiber can prevent it …I am sooo confused about the fiber thing🤔- some claim good some claim not so much….

How common is small bowel diverticulosis?
 These small-bowel diverticula occur in up to 5% of the general population, and can arise in the jejunum (80%), ileum (15%), or both (5%). They are usually multiple, and their sizes range from only a few millimeters in diameter to 10 cm in length.

elwick

Hi I have found that the small seeds on the outside do not digest in what remains of my digestive system. I've had a,problem once where I believe that a seed got under the edge of the  pouch where it gave me a similar. Problem as you get with a piece of grit in my shoe..we are all different give it a try.  Elwick

Mysterious Mose

Personally, I do not have a problem with my ileo and strawberries. I can eat them fresh, but I am not fond of commercial strawberries that way. I freeze them and use them in my morning smoothie. So, they are generally processed.

Justbreathe

I became an ostomate (ileostomy) after a surgeon suddenly discovered an orange sized cyst on the outside of my colon….not visible in a colonoscopy per surgeon because it was on the outside of my colon not the interior.  
Amazingly, around 10 years ago  I was having severe discomfort when sleeping on my right side.  Went to my doc and was told it was a spur on my spine.  I was sure the doc was wrong and should have seeked another opinion but did not.  After a while this discomfort went away and I was again able to sleep on my right side.
 Apparently this cyst grew (for years) and then got infected causing sever pain and resulting in emergency surgery.  So, now wondering if eating strawberries, tomatoes etc. might “built up” over time.  Even tho I eat anything I want with no problems (pain) could this be a mistake? 🤔and…is the use of psyllium fiber helping to keep these seeds moving along - I certainly hope so.  jb

Per Google
What causes diverticulosis and diverticulitis?
Researchers aren't sure what causes diverticulosis and diverticulitis. They think certain factors may play a role in causing or increasing the risk for these conditions, including:

Your genetics. Certain genes may make some people more likely to develop the conditions.
Lifestyle factors such as:Diets low in fiber and high in red meat
Lack of physical activity
Taking certain medicines, such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and steroids
Having obesity
Smoking