On the fence about this!

Replies
Views
Broken Pipes

Right now I am dealt with a life changing decision on whether to get a colostomy or just try to figure something else out like diet or ???

you see, I have a condition from a spinal cord injury at work that happened 27 years ago. I have a neurogenic bowel which is basically a flaccid bowel! On a good note, I am walking and for most part very active. The downside is the bowel issues! With no feeling in the rectum and it being loose and flaccid I have frequent accidents but mainly when stool is loose which seems to be getting worse as I age.

my doctor has already okayed the surgery but I am not sure I have tried everything I can. Although, I do feel that I have and this might be the last ditched effort to get a better quality of life. Normally I can take meds like loperamide or bismuth and that buys me about a week or two of possibly no accidents. But when it hits, it’s like a major blowout and it could last for days.

i am here to hopefully get some advice and support as my marriage has recently dissolved and my kids are all grown so I do not have a very good support system. Let alone, as we all know, it’s not exactly something you want to talk about. 

thanks

Kas

I had a similar situation after chemo & radiation for rectal cancer to the point I had to wear adult diapers all of the time.  Have a colostomy since August & my life is SO much better

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

xnine

It would be life changing for the better. There are many survivors on here that lead a normal life.

AlexT

I learned something new today, I’ll be damned. 😁 my grandson had spinal cord surgery last year and his bowels now get impacted to the point he has to go in and get flushed out. I just thought it was a new issue but not related. Anyway, if it were me and I’m a gambling man by nature(Sixteen Candles reference) 😁, I’d take a colostomy bag over having to take medications constantly or deal with crapping my pants. Good luck with your decision. 

TerryLT

Hi Broken Pipes (love the handle!),  I spent decades with undiagnosed colonic inertia, which basically means that the colon doesn't push the stool along the way it should.  I had to take massive amounts of laxatives which often resulted in bowel movements that were hard to or impossible to control, so something like what you are dealing with.  I spent years resisting ostomy surgery, and now after being an ostomate for nearly four and a half years, I can only say I wish I had done it sooner.  It has changed my life for the better in so many ways.  One thing the ostomy does it put you back in control of your bowels, instead of them controlling you.  It's a big decision, and maybe not the right one for everyone, but it sure was for me.  Have you talked to your doctor about the possibility of a reversal if things don't work out well?  

Terry

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Broken Pipes
Reply to TerryLT

Hi, thank you for sharing. As far as reversal goes, that would not be an option because I wouldn’t want to come back to the way it is now. And so far after hearing and from you all this really makes a lot of sense to gain back some measure of QOL. After hearing what you said about still not pushing along the way it should or once had, I am pretty sure I have a similar issue. Along with the paralysis to even make things better! Or worse! However! 

Broken Pipes
Reply to Kas

That is good to hear that your QOL has turned around. I actually turned 30 in the hospital after my sci and when it was all new I had to wear those dang baby bottom raps! Talk about belittling! So for many years after I learned to deal with it I had some sort of freedom with the occasional incontinence. Or maybe I just blocked out the made times over the last 27 years! But I have noticed in the past year and a half that accidents seem to have gotten worse. Thanks again for the reply. 

Broken Pipes
Reply to xnine

Thank you! I am beginning to think you are right.

Broken Pipes
Reply to AlexT

I have never had to get flushed out and quite frankly I don’t think I could because of having a flaccid bowel. But I am grateful to be able to walk and do most activities after my SCI. Hope your grandson figures out what is going on.

Night owl

Hi there! So glad you are on here to get opinions and others experiences! I had a birth defect and as a baby they went to correct it but cut my sphincter muscle. As a result I dealt with incontinence for many years, all throughout school, having to bring a change of clothes as well as wearing diapers, getting special bathroom privileges etc. It was a nightmare! In my 20's I'd had enough and decided to find out what my options were. I went with the colostomy and so glad I did! I had the option to reverse it but I never wanted to go back to what I had been dealing with, like you said. It's not perfect but my QOL is SO much better, not to mention my social life! Get all the information you can and ask all the questions you need. 

You've probably tried more fiber in your diet and bulking foods...

Sorry to hear about your marriage. Best wishes! 

Broken Pipes
Reply to Night owl

Wow! So sorry to hear about that Night Owl. My heart breaks that you had to go through that as a child and through your teens. So happy for you that you found a way to get a better QOL. It sounds like it made a HUGE improvement in your life. You must have felt like a prisoner breaking out of prison! Best way for me to describe my emotions is that I feel like a prisoner in my own body! 
Thanks for your reply

VisnuGD

Do NOT get a colostomy because you have neurogenic bowels. I'm a quadriplegic, got shot while in combat in Iraq 20 years ago. I have both neurogenic bowels and bladder. There's absolutely no reason to get this life changing ( for the worse when not an emergency) ostomy. You can fix that EASILY with a change of diet. Low carbs, less than 40g, no sugar, no grains, no nuts, no seed oils whatsoever, no dairy but butter, heavy cream, hard cheese, 3/4th cup full fat yogurt a day. If you change your diet you will be just FINE.

Now you have to ask yourself, "do I want to be healthy, have all my organs in place, live a normal life" or " I don't care I want to eat anything I want, I want to depend on an ostomy my whole life and deals with leakages, skin infections, public embarrassment ( when gas gets out ), be extra cautious with everything I do because I can rip open, tear up, loose the flange, bag, etc life " then by all means go get an ostomy. 

Only you can fix that, doctors will tell you there's nothing you can do because they want that fat paycheck, they don't care about you in reality, they care about the $$ you are going to provide them.

If you need more advice don't hesitate in contacting me.

I got this stupid ileostomy ( oh it's for the best, life changing and easy for you ) lie I was told. Because I have a sacral ulcer, they didn't want me to get poo 💩 in there. So I had it done, what do you know, my stomach now is all but messed up, I had slow gastric emptying to begin with because of my SCI injury, this stupid thing now made me almost have gastroparesis. I can't eat but 1 hardly 2 SMALL meals a day even then my stomach is full, bloated, gas, PAIN, etc. I have reversed the bloating and gas with diet but the epigastric pain and early satiety is the same. I'm 2x screwed for life, I can't reverse it, because that would mean more intestine manipulation and more scar tissue, furthering my stomach issues to the point I'd probably have stomach removed and be tube fed for life too. This is no joke, fix your diet it'll fix your life.

This ain't the magic pill everyone praises ( unless you have a serious condition that warrants it, colon cancer, ruptured intestines, etc ) U.C, IBS, etc is not warranted. That too is fixed with a proper human diet.

Don't blindly trust what your doctor tells you, they ain't God, that's their JOB, and they will hardly work with you to find a realistically way of fixing your issue. All about the Benjamin's.

Good luck 🙏

Beachboy

I would like to point out:

There is a vast difference between an illeostomy and a colostomy.  And how much small intestine or colon you have left.

I have a colostomy due to migrating hernia mesh that punctured my colon.  At first, yes!  I was pissed.  Hated it. 

I discovered this web site.  After reading many member stories... I readjusted my perspective.  We just poop different.  It's not the end of the world.  

As the months rolled by, I became proficient at changing the base plate (wafer), and how to care for my stoma.  Learned it all here from my fellow Ostemate warriors.  I was offered reversal surgery, but refused.  

An illeostomy is very different.  Output is mostly liquid and acidic.  It's hard to avoid leaks.  And caring for it is time consuming.  In spite of the extra work an illeostomy requires, people do have a good quality of life with it.

A change of diet might work.  But could you stay on that diet long term?  You could try the diet and see what happens.  Then reconsider your options.  

We are all here to help and lend an experienced, sympathetic ear.

Keep us posted on your decision and result.

Good luck

VisnuGD

A proper human diet can be sustained for life. There's a community for that if you are interested. Remember 1,000 or even a bit longer, homo sapiens sapiens didn't eat sugar, carbs, modified fruits if any, veggies, seed oils, etc etc. Humans thrived by just eating meat ( any kind ) eggs and probably that's it. Maybe a fruit here and there or honey or a specific non modified grain but those where just to not starve. Millions of years have humans thrived with no cancer, or any disease you can name. As soon as we started introducing food unto our DNA that wasn't meant for us to consume baam all kind of weird diseases. Food for thought 😁

Broken Pipes
Reply to VisnuGD

Thank you for your opinions. That’s exactly why I am here to hear what people have to say in their own words.

Vishnu, I assume that because you are a quad that you have a reflexic bowel condition? My injury level is L-1 and I have the Areflexic which is a flaccid bowel condition so my sphincter is wide open! So anytime I have stool in the chamber, it just comes out but mainly when it is loose stool. Keep in mind that I am ambulatory and walking with no issues therefore, it causes more issues with the bowels.. I have been dealing with this for almost half my life now and it has recently in the last year and a half gotten worse. I am 57 and in very good health other than the bowel limitations. At this point in my life I feel that it’s inevitable that I will end up with a bag. I am tired of worry about when I might have an accident in public or on a flight or at work. The more and more I think on this I feel it is the best option for. Plus, I can’t even imagine needed one of my kids to wipe my ass someday! 

and trust me, I have tried diet, meds, and  the next thing would be anal irrigation with peristeen. I just want to get some freedom back and get back out on the road camping across America in my RV.

But seriously, I do appreciate your words and opinions.

Broken Pipes
Reply to Beachboy

Thanks for the opinion Beachboy. I’m a beach boy too! SoCal. lol 

I have had the inguinal hernia surgery with mesh. When I was having firm bowel movements, it felt like I was being cut from the inside out where my hernia operation was. Sometimes it hurt so bad I thought I was going to pass out! Several mri and x-rays and Dr can’t find anything wrong. It would be nice to never have to go through that pain again! 

Bill
Reply to Broken Pipes

Hello Broken Pipes.
Thank you for this thread and thanks to everyone who has replied.
It takes me back to when I was contemplating the same decision in the same sort of circumstances.
We all need to make these sorts of decisions based on our own perceptions and it is probably a good idea to have as many alternative perspectives to consider as possible.
I cannot add a lot more to the conversation than what has already been said, so I'll just share with you that my own decision was to go for a stoma. I think the main reason was that I felt that it would be much easier to cope with the shit from the front rather than the bottom. A secondary reason would be that I have a firm belief that when life becomes too shitty for me, I will opt for a SOD (Self-Organised Death). 

Life with a stoma has it's ups and downs but I can honestly say that it has improved the management of my waste beyond recognition. I was offered a reversal some years ago but refused on the grounds that I did not want to go back to how it was previously.
Upon reading your responses to peoples opinions on this subject, it seems to me that you are already well on the way to making up your mind about this issue.

So, I would just like to wish you well in  whatever you decide.
Best wishes

Bill

Axl

Hi there

For what it's worth pick up some Psyllium husk, I found it useful when I needed it.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318707

Bill

Psyllium husk comes in several different forms, which I understand depends on how much they are refined.
I could only take the one marketed as Meta Mucil, which worked (and still works) quite well for me.
Best wishes

Bill

ron in mich

Hi Brokenpipes i,ve had an ilieo. for 30 some years due to UC/ crohns disease i,ve never had a bag rip or fall off i,ve only had 2 public experiences of the plastic clip breaking and poop on my shoes and both times were my fault as i used the clips for too long. After i got my ostomy i live a normal life of work 40 hours a week riding atv on trails, deer hunting, and trips when my daughter played hockey. The learning curve is steep but with the products nowadays and all the info on the internet it doesnt take long to figure things out.  good luck 

IGGIE

G-Day Broken Pipes,  Welcome. I also had a couple of decades of having to wear dipper's and accidents at night, it'd degrading. 3 years ago I decided to go for a full stoma operation and got my Butt sticked up. I wish I had done it 20 years ago. I now love my stoma and life is 100%. I also save a packet on Toilet Paper LOL. Make your decision BP but if I was you I would be going for the Stoma. Regards IGGIE

Broken Pipes
Reply to IGGIE

Haha! I never knew you can get your butt sticked up!

Yes it is very degrading wearing the diapers! Definitely makes you feel like less of a human! 

It sounds like once you get dialed in with the bag, issues are not as frequent. My concern is definitely thinking about aging with the condition I have. I figure I have about 20 years left and I would rather spend that time not worrying so much about bowel accidents and spend more time traveling and seeing the world. And hopefully eventually find a travel partner to share the rest of time with. It will definitely take a very understanding woman to put up with me and all my issues! Lol

TerryLT
Reply to Beachboy

Hey Beachboy,  I need to speak up in defense of ileostomies!  There are some people with ileos who have problems, but just like colostomies, everyone is different and it isn't fair to make sweeping statements about them.  I have had both, so I know of what I speak.  I function very well with my ileo, have no problems with maintenance, can't even remember last time I had a leak, and change my pouch once a week, but can even go longer.  I eat everything, no restrictions, and my output is sometimes thick, sometimes thin, but it's not an issue.  The only real difference for me is that I empty more often than someone with a colostomy.  I have an excellent quality of life.  I am not rare in this either.   Clearly there are many misconceptions about ileostomies!

Cheers,

Terry

TerryLT
Reply to Broken Pipes

Hi again,  Glad if this was helpful.  I should also add that I started out with a colostomy, but it was not successful, as my colon still did not function properly to push the stool out through the stoma.  That was when they finally conceded that it was my colon that was the problem, and decided to remove my colon and give me an ileostomy.  That is what changed things for the better.  I am functioning very well with the ileo.  Best of luck with your decision!

Terry

Mysterious Mose
Reply to TerryLT

Kudos, Terry. Not all ileos are the same, for sure. I seldom have any leaks and my stool is the consistency of thick oatmeal. Not liquid at all anymore. Unless I forget to take my 2mg of loperamide every evening. Even then, leaks are not an issue. I often go seven days before a change. My ileostomy hasn't kept me from leading an active life. Hell, I even know a guy in the area here that climbed Mt. Everest with an ileostomy. The only thing that holds us back is ourselves. But again, everyone is different. :-)

Daniel

VisnuGD
Reply to Broken Pipes

Sir, you have nothing I haven't seen before. Remember I go to the VA hospital, I see things private hospitals have no clue it exists. You have NOT tried a PHD, because you wouldn't have had a single blow out episode. I have an ileostomy that for everyone else or 99% maybe have to be dumping poo every 4 or 6 hours, or 2 to 3 times a day or more. I barely get 2/3 of the bag full the entire DAY, why? Because the food I eat gets absorbed into the system not rotting in my interesting just waiting to be expelled At my next blow out or bowel movement. U can't stress it enough, ileostomy is Rx worse than a colostomy and I don't get that bag even half full. I eat like a hog but nothing to throw out, maybe excess water because I drink more than 96oz of water daily. 

Like I said your problem is one of the easiest to care for. If you want to try something to harden your stool I can send you a jug of Banatrol. Brand new it is RX but I don't need it 🙏. Don't fall on that ostomy trap

TerryLT
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Absolutely!

Broken Pipes
Reply to VisnuGD

Visnu, I have tried so many different diets and when things seem like they are going good, POW! I get a case of loose stool out of nowhere! It has happened way too many times lately. I am not jumping into the colostomy surgery just yet. I am definitely open to try a new diet if you would give me a menu to go by. 

I have decided to give myself until the end of the year to come up with a decision and plan to do the research and ask questions. If it’s as easy as a diet then that would be wonderful! But so far I am seriously thinking my last option is to bag it!

IGGIE
Reply to Broken Pipes

G-Day BP, If your having a Colostomy you prob won't need your butt stitched up but with an Ileostomy if it's going to be permanent then get your butt stitched or you have a big problem with Mucus still coming out of your butt hole, very messy. I got sticked up. Works in your favor if for some reason you have to go to Jail, if you know what i mean.  Regards IGGIE

kittybou
Reply to Broken Pipes

See beats being dead....😁😸