No more adhesive removal spray?!?

Replies
Views
mattnice

Byram (my supplier) said they stopped carrying adhesive remover spray because insurance won’t reimburse enough for it.  What are we going to do?!?!

Beachboy

Call other Ostomy suppliers.  Ask if they are experiencing the same insurance coverage issue.  You can switch suppliers.  I use Edgepark.  Just received a shipment earlier this week from them.  I always get 3 bottles of spray adhesive remover, and 3 boxes of remover wipes.  So far I've had no insurance trouble.

You can always buy it on Amazon or other medical supply stores.  I use, "Shop Ostomy Supplies" web site also.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,709 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beth22

I have been having the same issue .. I had called another distributor they had said the same thing . What is the real issue is the distribution company likes to over price the ostomy products to your insurance company. The insurance company doesn't want to pay the price they are asking for with the spray. And beach boy I know you use edge park and I am glad you haven't had issues with them but please be aware of them. I had such horrible issues , I didn't get my full order for everything but the bags, they kept saying they were sending out the bags and never did I had to purchase bags out of pocket because I had ran out and was waiting over 2 weeks for them to send them out , when I called them for the 10th about it they said they never actually sent it so I asked for a refund sent whatever they did send, they got there product back and I never got a refund. Then for a year they to tried to bill me for the returned product. Just be careful 

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Beth22

Over priced ostomy supplies. Who'da thunk?? :-)

I, too, use Edgepark. I have been considering going somewhere else for my next order. My problem with them is that they sometimes do not follow through on what is asked of them. I have twice had problems where I called to change my Continue Care order only to find out, just prior to shipment, that the changes were not made. They do seem to have a problem either with competent people or a competent system.

Daniel

kittybou
Reply to Beth22

You might think about reporting them to Medicare, they take care of that type of thing REAL well. 

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
aTraveler

My insurance used to cover adhesive removal spray. The last time I ordered they had stopped covering it. They cover the adhesive removal wipes, therefore I started using them. I find that they work out well for removing my appliance. I also purchased a bottle of the adhesive spray from Amazon in case I get something too stubborn to remove with the wipes. I also use EdgePark and I have learned to keep an adequate supply of supplies on hand since they once sent me an order with no pouches!

Beth22
Reply to kittybou

Hey there I actually did report them.  And I switched distributors right away after that mess it's was horrible.

Beth22
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Daniel yes they do and noone knows what the other is doing at all. I will tell you another bad one is prism. Prism will send you what manufacturer product  they want and not what you ordered. So let's say you use coloplast or Hollister they won't send you coloplast or Hollister they will automatically send you safe n simple even after going over the order when you place it. The two good ones I have found so far is comfort medical and Bryham

AllieKIM

You can buy some on Amazon.  I have a ton of it and don’t need it anymore.  I use Coloplast  pouches and you don’t need any extra “glue”.  They just stick really well and peels off well.

harry113
Reply to Beachboy

You can get it from Edgepark but also you can buy supplies at reasonable prices on e-bay. 

Mysterious Mose
Reply to AllieKIM

I use the spray primarily for loosening before starting to peel off. Then I use the wipes to clean. That is followed by a naked shower and using Dial soap around the peristomal area. It's not a matter of a lot of additional glue from the skin. Mostly, it''s just making sure things are clean and well prepped for replacement. My minor issues with OCD play well with this process. :-)

Daniel

AlexT

A can of remover spray lasts me months as I only use about 3 little squirts to get the bag/ring off and then use a couple of wipes to physically rub the area clean. I can’t imagine going thru so much that I couldn’t just buy a can once in awhile and be good with that. 🤷‍♂️ 

Mysterious Mose
Reply to AlexT

Same here on the length the spray lasts. I got 9 or 10 months on the last one. I buy supplies every three months and, so far, Medicare will pay for at least one can over those 3 months.

Daniel

Beachboy

I always pay for my supplies with a Chase "signature" Visa credit card.  "Signature" provides more benefits than a regular Visa credit card.  

I've had merchant's in the past try and screw me.  But none were successful because I paid with my signature Visa credit card.  The card does cost $95 a year... but it is worth it.  This type card requires an excellent credit score and has a higher credit limit.  I work hard to maintain a high credit score, making damn sure I'm never late paying a bill.

Example of benefits using this card: 

I booked a 3 week vacation. A 2 week cruise starting in Quebec, then a week in Niagara falls.  Over several months, the airline kept changing the time of our flight to Quebec.  Then, one week before our cruise... airline cancelled the flight.  It was too soon to find a suitable replacement.  I was going to book a flight as close as I could get to Quebec, rent a car and drive to the ship.  Since I had booked the flight with my signature Visa through their travel service, (the issuing banks travel web site) I decided to call them.  They found a flight right away, issued me tickets, and all was good.  I tried looking up the new flight number, I couldn't find it anywhere.  Discovered later it was a charter flight.  It all worked out great. 

I never charge more than I can pay off each month.  If I don't have the money, I don't buy anything on credit.  Credit cards with perks are only worth it... if you pay off the balance each month.  It's very easy to run up a large balance that can take years to pay off, with high interest charges.  

If I'm screwed on an Ostomy supply order, and the merchant is unhelpful... next call will be to Visa.

New-Mariner

Micro-Scientific Goo Gone on Amazon works as well as my adhesive remover spray. Get a small spray bottle. Spray adhesive remover is the only thing Byram does not provide me. They are easy to deal with and have been good so far. 16 oz bottle of goo gone should last me 4-6 months. I recently read/misread that Medical Monks is now taking insurance?

elbruceo

I buy Smith and Nephew adhesive remover in an 8 oz bottle from byram and my insurance pays for it. 

I buy small refillable 2 oz spray bottles from amazon, Insurance does not pay for those.