Questions re: ileo reversal

Replies
Views
jmakrizak

So our teen just had ileostomy reversal five days ago. Her bowels moved some 24 hours after surgery and she passed some gas, but at the three day postop mark she experienced frequent vomiting and nausea. She is feeling much better today - very little pain and no vomiting. The surgeons ordered her off all fluids two days ago due to the vomiting. She is feeling well enough to walk lots on the hospital floor but hasn't passed any gas for 3 days. Have any of you experienced anything similar postop? How long did it take to consistently pass gas? She is just on iv fluids now. 

CrappyColon

Hi, what type of ileostomy reversal did your daughter have? Does she have any colon left? Have they said anything like ‘ileus’?  Are they letting her have anything by mouth like ice? Reversal surgeries aren’t a one size fits all since people have the original surgery for various reasons. It sounds like your daughter’s symptoms are trending in the way you want them to go at this point. Are you at a children’s hospital?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,527 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

jmakrizak
Reply to CrappyColon

Hi, yes she has all of her small and large bowel. She had a loop ileostomy placed due to a perforated appendix that caused damage to her terminal ileum (end of the small intestine) She had her ileostomy bag for a little over 5 months. The doc just visited - daughter is 19 but in a children's hospital - and he said it's not uncommon for it to take this long for her bowels to get going. So we are feeling better that things are ok. She has virtually no pain and walked several laps on the hospital floor today. We just need her to start farting! They are letting her have gum and hard candy.

CrappyColon
Reply to jmakrizak

Isn't it funny sometimes what we can get excited about as a parent? If they're letting her do gum/candy they think things are trending in the right direction too.  With abdominal operations it's really common for the intestines to be slow to wake up.  She has her age on her side too when it comes to healing.  I wish I could opt to be in a children's hospital when I have surgeries...I think they get more therapy dog visits too 😉

warrior

when your teen feels better and wants to hear from people who " get it",  we are here for her.

i might add,  there are  so far to my knowledge,  two other teens on here.

another grand parent regarding her grandson...and another 18 yr old female.. her age group will connect easily.

That's what its all about..

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
IGGIE

She's only days into the reversal and it takes time for it all to wake up and start working right, so do as they say and give it time. She is in the right place if she need attention. Regards IGGIE