Post Colostomy Reversal Day 6

Replies
Views
MoeMoe

New development: so as I posted yesterday I have been making more than several trips to the restroom, it’s awful and painful. So I took a hard look at what I was consuming thinking there has to be a solution and I think I found it!! I need to be dairy free and the hospital gave me Ensure to drink twice a day. I remember telling the nurse that I needed dairy free and she said it was lactose free and it’s the same thing. IT IS NOT I have come to find out the hard way! I did not drink it today because now I am almost sure that’s the problem. I made 4 trips to the restroom this day since ditching the Ensure, also gas was not an issue in the least bit all those noises stopped. Hopefully tomorrow’s BM is better and better from now on too. I have a soreness feeling about 2 inches under the stoma site when I press slightly. It’s probably nothing but the doc will check it out on Wednesday. I remember when the stoma was put in place, I had pain there too so it’s probably just surgery pain. Other than that, nothing new and since I was not constantly in the restroom today I was able to walk more. If tomorrow is like today, I think I will be ready to walk outside and get some fresh air finally!! Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read what I put out, I appreciate you!! Be well everyone, I am thankful for you! I prayed a special prayer for our community today I hope it reached your hearts. 🩵 

Bill

Hello MoeMoe.
Just a brief note to say that, although your situation does not equate with my own, I do very much appreciate reading your updates.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

aTraveler

You are probably correct with the Ensure. After my ostomy surgery, I became sick and nauseated after eating dairy products. I was advised that oftentimes dairy products are the last to come around. I was strongly advised to take Ensure with every meal since it was dairy free and provided protein necessary for healing. On two successive meals, with Ensure, I experienced heavy vomiting. I was told by my doctor to stop the Ensure. Therefore if you are having problems with dairy, you should  proceed cautiously with Ensure.

Justbreathe

Good on you monitoring your input for output and sharing.  Hoping for you that omitting the Ensure will help you on your road to complete and successful recovery.  Thank you for sharing so that others can benefit from your experiences.  One comment you share such as the Ensure info may help multitudes!  You are a brave soul and one who has much compassion which is desperately needed in today’s world ❤️.   Thanks,  jb

Morning glory

First thank you  for the prayers. Good observation  on your part on the Ensure. 

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
IGGIE

G-Day MoeMoe, You know we all learn from each other and its information like this that give other people an idea as to go for a reversal or not. You Journal when finished could be a winner and i would buy your first edition. Good on you my friend, one day at a time. Regards IGGIE,

DexieB

Good detective work, friend!  I hope this takes care of the situation.   🤞 

Beachboy

Good to hear MoeMoe.  You're getting better every day.  It's funny, I drink an ensure every morning with no trouble.  My wife, with normal plumbing, drinks one and gets bloated and gassy.  Well.. more for me.

Continue to be careful.  A couple of weeks after surgery, I was feeling pretty frisky.  Well, fell down my stairs.  Laid on the couch recouperating. Got up... fell again.  Lucky I didn't break anything.  Took awhile for my ears to stop ringing, from my wife yelling at me.  Yikes.

MoeMoe
Reply to Bill

Thank you for the support! 

MoeMoe
Reply to Beachboy

OMG BeachBoy, yikes is right! Wow, yea good thing you didn’t break anything and you’re all good now I assume.
Thank you! 

MoeMoe
Reply to IGGIE

Thx Iggie, not sure if pooping and gas would make for a good read LOL Thank you for the support! 

MoeMoe
Reply to aTraveler

Those drinks should be mandatory dairy free for everyone sheesh! Sorry you went thru that, that’s awful!! I just went back to my normal vegan protein and am drinking that twice daily with added liquid vitamins. All good now!