1 Year

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777

I have been on these forums for one year now. My stoma re-location happened a year ago tomorrow. I can't believe it's been a year. It was when I got my re-location that I was finally able to wear a bag. I got my first stoma on Jan. 1, 2022. And from then until March 30, 2023 I was not able to wear a bag due to the location of the stoma. I don't blame the doctor for placing my stoma in such a bad spot, it was emergency surgery and life or death situation. She didn't have time to measure or mark out the right place for a stoma. But if you can imagine my situation for a year not able to wear a bag. My skin was totally eaten up and I just had to wear a diaper around my waste and do the bed I could to survive. I was on heavy pain killers for most of that time due to the pain of my skin being eaten up. I was planning a reversal up until 2 weeks before my re-location surgery. I met with the doctor for what was to be a pre-op appointment and she came in the room and said "I'm sorry but there is no chance of a reversal, there isn't enough colon to re-attach." I was so upset, why hadn't she told me this months ago when she had said I could have a reversal. I mean I was planning and planning and so excited. Then just 2 weeks before the surgery she dropped a bomb on me. She basically said all she could do was re-locate my stoma so that I could wear a bag. And so she did that on March 30. 2023. And for the first time I was able to wear a bag. It was a whole new experience. I can't complain as it has allowed me to return to the world of the living. I can go outside my house, go to the store, go to the park, go out and enjoy my life virtually pain free. I wish I had been able to have a reversal but since I can't I will just have to go on living with a bag. So anyway, I was just reflecting on the fact that it's been a year since I came here. Everyone has been great. I couldn't ask for a nicer bunch of people. You are all helpful and supportive and often funny and uplifting. Thanks for letting me be a part of this. 

Lee

aTraveler

My ostomy was performed in a manner that would allow me to have a reversal. After the surgery was performed I experienced many complications (e. g. fistulas, embolisms, deep vein thrombosis, afib, gastrointestinal hemorrhaging, etc.). I was advised to wait a year before considering the reattachment. At my 2nd post-op appointment, I had frank discussions with the surgeons that performed my surgeries. I was informed that a reattachment would in all likelihood lead to as many or more complications than the original surgery. I was further informed that neither one of them would perform the surgery — they would refer me to a surgeon that specializes in complicated reversals. I have decided not to have the reversal. I have a colostomy and I change my closed pouch 2- 3 times per day and the baseplate /wafer /flange every 4 days. I am pretty adjusted to having a stoma, my primary inconvenience now is the crinkling sound the bag makes. I understand your heartbreak about not being informed earlier about not being able to reverse the stoma.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,590 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Thanks you two for sharing your stories. I just love reading about other people's experiences, not least because it reminds me how fortunate I've been not to be in that situation. 
I wish you both (and everyone else)  the very best for the future.
Bill

infinitycastle52777
Reply to aTraveler

Wow that is a lot of complications. So sorry to hear that you have been through so much. The doctor told me if they did a reversal it would only move the problem and that I would have more problems. She said she wouldn't do a reversal but she would do the relocation. Incidentally she did my gall bladder removal at the end of last month. That at least went ok, though she had to make 5 holes instead of 4 to get it out without harming my ostomy which when she relocated it she but it right up next to my gall bladder not knowing that I would later have to have it out. She said she wished she had known I needed it out before she did my relocation because she would have taken it out then. I have a ileostomy and I use drainable pouches. As for the crinkle sound of the bag you could try wearing a wrap or a bag cover that might muffle the sound. I have kind of gotten use to the crinkle sound my bag makes and I don't apologize for it.

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Bill

That is the great thing about this site, you get to know peoples' stories and maybe even help someone or at least give a them a place to be heard. I love it here.

Lee

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
DexieB

That must have been so hard.  My heart goes out to you.  But I am glad you are here and doing ok :)  You are stronger than you know!  

Morning glory

You have been through  so much Lee. Glad you are here and contributing.  You're  a survivor  and are strong.

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Morning glory

Thanks for saying that I am strong. I have a tshirt I got shortly after my relocation surgery that says "you never know how strong you are until you have ostomy surgery" and then below that it says "endurance" 

infinitycastle52777
Reply to DexieB

Sometimes I don't feel strong. I feel like I am a medical mystery. I was fine and then I got Covid and ever since then things have been on a downward spiral. Hopefully now though my body will decide to work.

Jayne
Reply to aTraveler

A Traveller

Happy Easter

I have picked up your comment concerning the crinkling noise of the bag ,,,, Perhaps you may like to consider changing your pouch system: Salts make black silky bags - which make no noise what so ever : So try checking out salts.co.uk their Comfort B black bags are great - far supior to many of the other brands of ostomy pouch systems ,,,, I personally can recommend [suitable for guys and girls .... they come in white and a buff colour too; and Salts supply outside of UK.

Best wishes

Jayne 

UK

Jayne

Lee,

As other Members have said ,,,, You are strong - and we can all iterate this; but sometimes, its just good to know there is somewhere where one can 'drop in' for an uplift and feel like a contributions can be made.

Hold true - yes its hard, but keep with it .... Occassionally, the sunshine is truely warm and comforting and the blue sky brings Hope,

HUg,

Best Wishes for Easter,

waves

Jayne

MoeMoe

Lee you are so strong!! I’m so sorry you had to go thru all of that but sometimes we don’t realize what we’ve been thru and how far we’ve come until we look back at where we started. Wow, look at you now… going to the park, getting out, being able to do all these wonderful things, especially being pain free, amazing! So glad all is going well for you and you are getting out into the world! Yess! 🙌🏽 

aTraveler
Reply to Jayne

Thanks Jayne, I'll look into Salts.

Hisbiscus

You are a real trooper. Living with a stoma and no bag. All that pain and I can't imagine . God bless you

TerryLT

Happy Anniversary Lee!  I'm glad you found us too and I have enjoyed getting to know you.  As others have said, your are strong!  I love that you are comfortable telling your story and I also enjoy your random posts.  Your contributions to this forum have been invaluable and it's people like you who make this site so great.  

Terry

infinitycastle52777
Reply to TerryLT

Awe! Thanks for the warm fuzzies. I do love this group. I am so glad I found it. As for random posts that is what I seem to be good at. Random thoughts random posts. My mind wanders. 

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Hisbiscus

It was a really trying time for me. I am so grateful that I can wear a bag now. It has made a big difference in my life. 

infinitycastle52777
Reply to MoeMoe

Yeah I am really glad I can do more now. I shutter at how things use to be for me. I was in so much pain all the time every day. I could barely shower for the pain of the water on my sore skin. I have come a long way since those times. It's very sobering. 

infinitycastle52777
Reply to Jayne

I agree it is great to have a place to come and share and read what others are going through and just to feel a part of something.

IGGIE

Wow, I cannot imagine going a year without a bag, you poor thing you must have been in a hell of a mess. Thank god you're now in a situation that you can get about and pain free. Regards IGGIE

infinitycastle52777
Reply to IGGIE

Yeah, it was a very long year. Very long. I don't ever want to go through that again.

Jayne
Reply to infinitycastle52777

IC

I can actually empathise to a point, for during the phases where the sinues were erupting and I too could not have a base plate or bag on - it was a severe challenge - BUT, somehow one got through it - but it was a big trial - especially since in my own case one had for TIEs with the very thought of overcoming the need for continual address of base plates and bags !! Little did one think the reverese would prove to be the result - and its still ongoing for me - although the abdominial skin finally settled - it was a long haul.

BUT INFINITY cASTLE we did it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XX

And, BTW - a wandering mind can be absoultely essential at times - all focus and not mind journies would have been an impossibility!!!!!

Our minds can be our best companions at times [as well as our worst enemy too on occassions!]

Hugs

Jayne