Managing Digestion for Solid Stools

Replies
Views
joeycooper65

Hi all,

New to the group and considering what's the best way to slow down our guts and intestines. Naturally with food and not naturally i.e. drugs like Imodium or codeine.

Any advice on what you all do to control your diet and try for more solid stools. Thanks, Joe

Axl

Hello Joe

You don't say how new your ostomy is, if it's brand new it will take a few months to settle down some. For me, it's any roasted or steamed vegetables that take the longest to go through me, even an apple, but everyone is different.

Axl

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,799 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Doe1mama

Marshmallows will certainly firm things up.

ron in mich

Hi Joey, applesauce, peanut butter, bananas, also mashed potatoes, but I also use Imodium every day.

Renfromtexas

I hear marshmallows work wonders if you eat a few half hour or so before bag change. I usually drink some coffee beforehand so it clears the way prior. I almost always have output regardless.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Abefroman1969

I have the opposite issue, I'd like to speed up my motility. I'm back on TPN and it seems whenever I eat, it will be about 12 hours before I see the bulk of the output. Liquids are a different story; those go right through me, and whatever doesn't get turned to urine seems to go right out the ostomy like there's a passing lane in there! Coffee especially, down to one cup a day.

OU812

Bananas and oatmeal firm things up and slow things down for my ileostomy.

annofsd

For a few years now, I have been taking an Imodium pill with each of my meals. It keeps my output manageable.

gardengirl

I am gluten free, which is mostly rice-based foods, so I have thick output always...

Vet72

After 5 years of learning how to control my colostomy output, at least as far as this is possible, here are the things that work for me:

If I want to thicken up my output, I find that eating increased amounts of bananas, oatmeal, nuts, rice, and plain boiled potatoes all seem to do the trick. I know that a lot of people recommend marshmallows, but I have never liked those ultra-sweet mushy things, plus surely all that extra sugar in your diet can't be particularly healthy? Unless you are keen on increasing your risk of developing type 2 diabetes...

On the other hand, if my output gets a bit too solid, which for me means an increased risk of 'pancaking' and subsequent bag leakage (or even a total 'blowout'!), I reduce the healthy stuff in my diet (i.e. bananas, oatmeal, etc.) and indulge in some of what I would normally consider to be "rubbish" foods. For me, this means anything with a high gluten content, such as bread, pasta, and pastries, and anything that is artificially sweet (such as chocolate). Drinking more plain water than usual helps as well.

I tend to steer well clear of medications (such as Lomotil, etc.) that some people like to use to regulate their output. In my opinion, they are probably best reserved for emergency situations rather than regular use.

Ninja

Joey:
Welcome to the club. It matters if yours is an ileostomy or colostomy, so pray tell. I always have roasted plantains, sweet potatoes, or other starchy foods to keep my output within a realm of 'reliable' output. I also try to keep all my food intake within an 8-12 hour window, so that there is some predictability in the flow of digestion/emptying. I went to the theatre the other night and miscalculated, which did not improve the quality of the play.

Good luck. I have found folks to be incredibly knowledgeable and forthcoming, so keep asking questions with more granular details about what you are seeking for yourself. Peace to you and yours for the upcoming holidays, Ninja

Redondo

I have an ileostomy. I have tried the marshmallows but once they really blocked me up. Imodium didn't really hold me back. I eat a little jello at night sometimes and this seems to slow things down.

infinitycastle52777

The best food I have found to slow down digestion is pumpkin. I use pumpkin pie mix from a can and just eat a small bowl of it. Works like a charm. Even my ostomy nurse said she is going to pass that idea along to some of her other patients who are struggling with output issues. For me, this works even better and faster than Imodium.

Lee

Rene

Snacking on something salty or potatoes in any style, except French fries, and rice helps me. Chewy granola bars also work, and, ironically enough, plain water. I also use Imodium 3 or 4 days a week, but only if nothing seems to be working that day.

iMacG5

Hey Joe, you didn't identify yours as an ileo or colo. There's a huge difference in output consistency and frequency. The other difference is you. What might work well for some of us might not for you and the opposite is true. You've come to a good place and asked a very good question. You'll get lots of opinions and some of them will fit you perfectly. Keep us posted on your success.

Respectfully,

Mike