Pain after surgery?

Replies
Views
abizai.rebollar

It’s been a week since my surgery. My bag and stoma don’t bother me. It’s my scar and inside of it. I can’t do anything without it hurting. I still feel so “useless” 😔. I know everyone is different. But is it normal for it to be still this sore and somewhat painful and not be able to do much? Am i just being impatient? I am just so tired and bored I guess. 

Bryce

Hi - I have had good luck with Polysporin Plus and Weber Vitamin E cream to ease the itch / pain and speed healing. Please check with your health care team to make sure they could be right for you.  Good Luck 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Healing scars can drive a person nuts with the tightening, itching, etc

Beachboy

Takes time to heal.  Gotta be patient.  Took me about 3 months to start feeling somewhat normal.  Be careful, it's easy to get a peristomal hernia.  

Ben38

Yes normal hopefully by around the 6 weeks stage pain will start getting less then over time you just wake up one day and think it's not hurting anymore 

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Morning glory

You said a week since your surgery? You are doing great then. Give yourself  time it takes awhile. 

JustMeRLB

What kind of surgery did you have? 
This type of surgery is major surgery and they messed with many abdominal muscles. Since we use our abs for just about everything… it’s normal to still have pain and discomfort. I am 4 weeks out and am still taking Tylenol regularly. I get muscles burning, which I have been told is nerve endings healing. (I have had 2 c-sections prior to this) 

take care, it’s is normal. 

Axl

One week is nothing, may as well have been yesterday, don't rush it no good will come of it, let your health come to you, be patient.

abizai.rebollar
Reply to JustMeRLB

I had a sigmoid colectomy with end colostomy. I think? Tbh that’s what the report says. I’m not the brightest bulb in any room 😅

abizai.rebollar
Reply to Axl

Thanks! I’m trying but I’ve never been the type to be idle for too long. I enjoy working and trying to do things on my own. I’m doing my best not to let my mental health be affected. I’ll take this as a lesson that I need to learn to be patient and know that I’m not alone. 

JustMeRLB
Reply to abizai.rebollar

I agree with what the others are saying also. One week is not very long. 
Maybe you can find something productive to do with your hands… like crochet… or singing like that… uses your mind and keeps hands busy. I, too, don’t like being slowed down…. I am a busy person normally and lately before surgery was so sick I couldn’t do anything and then after surgery I am having to slowly return to normal. It’s not been easy to not be at my usual activity level. 

Mysterious Mose

I am a year past my colectomy and my "autopsy" scar still occasionally itches. The worst though are the holes in my belly that used to host drainage tubes. Those drive me nuts sometimes. :-)

Daniel

Beachboy
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Hated drain tubes.  Hated even more... getting em yanked out.  Yikes.

AlexT
Reply to Beachboy

The nurse that took mine out had 2 students the day I got discharged. She came in by herself and asked if one could take my IV out and the other take my drain tube out. I said… can I mess with them? She said…. absolutely. 😁👍 I screamed when the one that took my drain tube out started pulling. She dropped it and backed up.😂 I said….just messing with you, go ahead. 🤭

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Beachboy

The one for my pancreas fell out on its own. One day, I stood up and there it was on the floor. Figured it wasn't wise to try to put it back in. 😅

Mysterious Mose
Reply to AlexT

The only one that bothered me coming out was the one draining fluid from the lungs. That was a little uncomfortable. But nothing like having the NG tube removed. Had that done twice. 😝

MoeMoe
Reply to Beachboy

I agree! I hated, HATED the drain tubes OMG so painful when they come out… I had 2 open surgeries within a month of each other and dreaded it each time. First time the doc said I would just feel pressure boy was he wrong. 5 months post op and I still have dull pain intermittently in that area.