vegan ostomates

Replies
Views
christine108

Looking for other ostomates who are also vegan. Obviously some challenges, when it comes to fibre. Who has experience, tips, etc?

Bill

Hello Christine. 
I am not sure what the challenges are with regard to fibre. As I understand it, there is lots of fibre in fresh fruit and vegetables If not, then there are supplements like Fibogel, Metamucil and many more. These often come in powdered form to be mixed with liquid. I know this because it is what is recommended for older people when they become less active and are more likely to become constipated.
I have quite a number of years experience as a vegan, but don't feel I have very much to offer in the way of tips. I have simply eaten anything and everything that I like which doesn't involve  killing or abusing animals in any way.  Now, If it came to eating humans, then I might have to rethink my stance on veganism (just a joke) !
For me, the challenges come more in the way of keeping a balance of the various vitamins that may or may not be sufficient in a vegan diet. I 'manage' this by popping a few one-a-day pills of one sort or another. However, it is as well to keep an eye on any contra-indicators in this regard if you are taking prescribed medication or have medical conditions that might be affected adversely by plant-based supplements.
When I looked into it, I found that turmeric was one of those substances that I should be staying well clear of, but my wife has absolutely no problems with it.
If in doubt, I would suggest that you 'Google' whatever you're taking and add 'contra-indications'. This will give you a more precise understanding of what the 'experts' have to say about these things. 
There are also quite a few vegan recipe books appearing on the market, which can be quite enlightening for those who are just starting out on this vegan journey. As for having a stoma, I doubt whether being a vegan makes much difference but, as many have pointed out before on this site, it tends to be a matter of try it (whatever 'it' is) and see how you get on, as we are all different in the way we digest food, so what is okay for one person, may not be so for another. 

Best wishes

Bill. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,520 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Bill

Bill, I am not sure I understand your response. If Christine has an ileostomy, vegetables with lots of insoluble fiber can be a concern. I am neither a vegan nor a vegetarian, so cannot offer diet advice to Christine. But, many vegetables can cause problems for many (not all) ileostomates. The only advice I would feel comfortable giving Christine is to try things in small doses to start and supplement with protein and psyllium supplements. If she has an ileostomy, that is. No first hand experience here with a colostomy, if that is what she has. But, colostomies are more forgiving of insoluble fiber, if I understand things correctly.

Daniel

TerryLT

Hi Christine,  There is a wonderful website at veganostomy.ca  It is run by an ostomate who is also a vegan and it's an online forum much like this one.  He is also a Canadian!  There is a ton of information there specific to ostomates who are vegan.  Lots of recipes and stuff.  It's a great source of info for ostomates whether they are vegan or not.  Metamucil is simply psyllium fibre and has no nutritional value other than sugar.  If you want to add fibre to your diet, whether it's water soluble or not, I would suggest adding whole grains and lots of vegetables and/or beans.  The key to finding out whether you will tolerate them with an ileostomy is to try a small amount at a time and chew really well, and I mean really well, until it's just mush in your mouth.  Also keep well hydrated.  If you can't break something down well in your mouth, like fibrous pineapple for instance, just spit that part out.  I have an ileo and can eat anything, but I am careful about chewing things like crazy and washing things down with lots of liquids.

Terry

Axl

What Terry said 👍

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Bill
Reply to Mysterious Mose

In the light of your post, I am now not so sure if I understand my response about fibre.
Unfortunately, I made the mistake of making an assumption that the 'challenges' referred to were concerning lack of fibre (which is what I need to be careful about), whereas (now you point it out) I now realise that it could also mean too much fibre. 
I usually try to avoid making assumptions but on this occasion, it seems that I have fallen into this trap, for which I sincerely apologise.
Best wishes

Bill

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Bill

😀

cynthia.logan3
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Yes, I have an ileostomy, and have to be cautious with fibre, due to appliance issues. I’d love to be able to enjoy big salads and lots of veggies, but just can’t. I’m curious how other people with ileostomies fare being vegan.

jansarirn

Remember there are differences between soluble and insoluble fiber.  It is always a good idea to speak to a registered dietician who specializes in ostomies (good luck in finding one.) Also due to our difficulties with absorption, I would hesitate to begin any supplements without first having levels tested by one’s doctor.  Here is the USA, without any oversite, supplements have become somewhat of the Wild West.  Just because “they” say, or the manufacturer says, or Dr. Google say, does not mean the supplement contains what it says it does.  There is truth that one can have too much of a good thing, turning into a bad thing.  Always best to get what you can from food, adding 1/4 cup of each new food per day, one at a time, and noting any side effects.  And of course, be on the ostomy train and chew, chew, chew.  Good luck

jansarirn

Also, I make a puréed vegetable soup with broth, peeled carrots and sweet potatoes, handfuls of spinach and warmed spices sautéed in olive oil with onion and salt.  I pressure cook this in an instant pot for 15 minutes then natural release.  I use an immersion blender to purée. Only one pot to wash.  I use a balsamic glaze to finish when in the bowl.  This has done wonders to my vitamin and mineral levels when I have them tested.

DexieB
Reply to jansarirn

I wonder if this can be made on the stovetop?  I no longer have an InstaPot.  A recipe would be great if you're willing to post it- even though I no longer have my colostomy, it sounds delicious and I'd love to make it!