Mas Ostomy Memories

Replies
Views
HenryM

In 2011 I needed to have my ostomy redone.  I'll spare you the details.  The surgeon moved it from the right side of my belly to the left.  He was in my hospital room the evening prior to the surgery going over it with me.  It occurred to me that it would be an opportune time to solve one of my age old issues with the stoma, which was so close to my waist line that wearing pants could be problematic.  Can you place it a little lower, I wanted to know.  What do you mean? he asked.  I'd like it somewhat below the level of my navel, I said, so that the waistline of my pants will ride above it.  Show me where, he said.  I pointed to a spot approximately two and one half inches lower than my belly button.  He handed me a felt tip marker.  Make an X, he said.  I drew a dark X exactly where i wanted my new stoma to be.  Okay, said the doc.  You got it.  X marks the spot.

GrammieRed

Hi Henry, my surgeon did the same for me. My 1st colostomy was perfect, 2nd at my waist, which was impossible to hide. So for my ileo I got to pick the spot and have been very happy with it.

Question: You said you had it moved from your right side to your left, do you have an ileo? Or were they able to 'reverse' it to a colostomy?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,315 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Hi Henry, when I had my first ostomy surgery 34 years ago, my surgeon had me come in for an office visit and I didn't have a clue as to why. He had me undress and put the gown on, and I couldn't figure out what for until he had me sit, stand, and bend over. Then he took out a marker and put an X on my right side, about 2 inches to the right and about an inch down from my navel. So then I knew what the visit was for.

HenryM

Doctors aren't the best communicators, are they?  Stay well.

HenryM

I've had an ileostomy from the start, since '64.  In 2011, I somehow managed to have a skin opening just a 1/2 inch from my stoma and it just kept getting worse.  So they switched sides.  I've had no problems since.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
GrammieRed

Hmmm... I didn't know an ileo could be on the right side.  

It must be my special circumstances. My surgeon said that colostomies are on the left and ileos on the right. It could be just my situation, though. I don't have much bowel left.