Best summer masks? Share your favorites!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
w30bob

Howdy folks,

Okay, so this virus crap isn't going away anytime soon, so it looks like masks will continue to be required fashion through the hottest part of summer. Has anyone found a really good mask? I don't mean good enough... they're all that... I mean one that you actually don't mind wearing. I've tried a number of types and still haven't found any one to stand out. So I'm hoping one of you guys has stumbled onto, or made, something that does the job and isn't a total nuisance to wear. If you have... how about sharing with the rest of us? Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

I have not tried but one type and it sucks! Cannot breathe in them. Cheap and from China, no less! Grrr, I cannot imagine there are any that are not a pain in the butt! So glad I am retired from my Oncology practice. I could not imagine having to wear a mask all day. Sure sympathetic to those that do! Hope you hear of a good one. Let us know!

Pup

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello Bob. 

I suppose the design of a 'great' mask will depend upon your circumstances and the needs you have to wear one. I cannot seem to get on with the commercial masks, mainly because the breathed out air steams up my glasses. 

The best masks I've made are an adaptation of nasal pads used for CPAP machines. Mine have a hypoallergenic filter so, I get protection from airborn pollution. The device is 'covered' by a cloth  mask which does little, other than protect others from my outgoing breath. 

One of these (which I use on short-term trips) is a simple breathe-in through the nose, breathe-out through the mouth device with no mechnical assistance.

The other is linked to a portable CPAP machine which pressurised the air intake. I sometimes need this if I am in a contaminated environment for any length of time. Or, of course, if I am going to sleep, which is what it was designed for in the first place. I first designed it for air travel a few years back and it has been very useful on a daily basis ever since. 

For me, the covid 19 virus is probably no more dangerous than the 'normal' air pollution that was killing thousands of people before this pandemic. ( and, which I am convinced was the primary cause of my heart attack).

I always found it interesting that people in other (mostly Far-Eastern) polluted countries/cities have long-since adjusted to wearing masks in public, to avoid breathing in their air pollution. Maybe this is part of the reasons why places like China seemed able to contain it's outbreaks of Covid more effectively than many of the western nations.

I have also been interested in the increasing use of face 'shields' - which do much the same job of protecting others from your own breath and look much more comfortable to wear for longer periods. They also have the advantage of not covering up your face, which allows for more normal social interaction.

Just a thought!

Best wishes

Bill

ron in mich

Hi all, I started out wearing a neck gaiter that I use for riding in my SxS when it's dusty on the trails. But with the warm temps now, I bought a homemade mask from the hardware store that a handicapped person has been making and selling. It is cooler to wear as my neck is exposed after finally being able to get a haircut. No more looking like Sasquatch.

w30bob

Hi Ron,

I was looking at those gaiters yesterday in Walmart. At first, I thought it would be more comfortable on my face than the strap-on masks, but then realized having it bunched up around my neck would turn me into an Italian sweat machine in no time. Maybe if they were made out of a lighter, thinner material with a second layer of fabric only over the mouth and nose. But I did like the idea of no straps around my head.......that drives me as nuts as having my glasses always steamed up like Bill was mentioning. I think you've given me an idea.........now where did I put that damn sewing machine again............

Bill, thanks for your comments. I figured you're the "Mask Master" when it comes to making or modifying something to suit the task. I also like the face shield idea, but the only ones I've seen and own are for using a grinder or other tools. Those are a bit bulky and stick out too far from my face........but they have to because of my big nose! If someone could figure out a way to contour one a bit to better fit a face, I could see it being a big seller. I'll have to look and see what those face shields are made of. Some clear plastics can be heated and shaped.......others cannot. Now YOU'VE given me an idea........now where did I put that heat gun........

Thanks, folks.........keep 'em coming if you run into something super comfortable!

Regards,

Bob

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Bill

Hello Bob.

I have just Googled 'how to make a DIY face shield' and there are loads of great ideas already out there. I liked the one made out of a large Pepsi bottle, as it has a neat curved underside. However,  there are some great ideas using all sorts of stuff that I already have lying around the place.

Best of luck with trying out these ideas .

Best wishes 

Bill

xnine

Rough Rider football, comfy but steams my glasses. You do not have glasses.

lovely

Bob, do you have to wear one all day at work? I really feel sorry for those who have to do so. I barely can stand to wear one for an hour or so at the grocery store. I hope you can find or make one to suit your needs. Best wishes and stay safe.

ron in mich

Hi X, I use a little dish soap on my glasses and that keeps them from fogging up.

w30bob

Hi X,

Yeah, I do have glasses.   I don't wear them around the house, but need them for driving (nearsighted).   So when I'm out and about I usually have them on......and my mask does the same thing....steams up the left side.   No matter how well I squeeze the little metal bar that's supposed to form around my nose my glasses still fog up.   You think it's trying to tell me my nose is too big???

Regards,

Bob

Past Member

Bob,

Just pick anything that is comfortable to wear and don't worry about the rest. I have a good friend who is one of the leading design engineers of masks in the US. He designs masks for nuclear warfare use for the military, a filtration system that will be going to the moon, etc. He feels that most, including the 95's, are pretty much feel-good masks and only provide a very small modicum of protection. All these masks suck when it is hot and move from one conditioned environment to another.

Little Red

I have found that wearing a homemade mask made by a friend who is a seamstress is good for me, just like the one X is wearing. But if I put a paper filter in it just between the mask and my face, it is good and does not fog my glasses. I use a coffee filter folded in half, but even a vacuum filter can be cut to fit, and then toss it when not in use. But I am used to wearing a mask as I retired from the medical field and wore one that was made just for me. There are also straps you can buy that hook onto the masks and then go around your head, not over your ears. Also, you can attach a small button to the side of your glasses and hook the elastic over that and not to your ears, which makes the mask fit to you. Just go through the holes of the buttons with an elastic thread and hook it to the side of your glasses.

Just a couple of ideas.

Little Red

Remember folks, the mask you wear is to protect them and they wear a mask to protect you. That is how we stay safe.

Bill

Hello Bob. 

I suppose it was inevitable that I should be tempted into composing a rhyme on the subject of masks. - So, here it is!

Best wishes

Bill

A COVID MASK.

Before COVID, people would ask
why did I need to wear a mask?
They could not see the relevance
of this fashion preference.

For those who showed an interest
and those whose questions did persist,
I would take time out to explain
that it was not I was insane.

I had worked out, what knocked me back,
and brought about my heart-attack,
was from pollution in the air
and human beings did not care.

I wore a mask to protect me
from obnoxious activity,
which humans do to profiteer
whilst they pollute the atmosphere.

Those exhaust pipes on vehicles
spewing out their chemicals,
may-well be economical
but health-wise, diabolical.

So, as I rode my bicycle,
it seems to me unethical
not to count the personal cost
to those whose health and lives are lost.

There’s no excuse, now it is known,
and the scientists have shown
that air pollution’s onerous
apart from being dangerous.

When people saw me in my mask
it was my hope that they would ask
themselves the reasons for this thing,
then link it to the fumes they fling.

But then we had Covid 19,
and suddenly a mask was seen,
even with its imperfection,
as a potential protection.

This virus was a pollutant
to the human environment,
which meant, anxiety prevailed
and people wanted it curtailed.

The new exhaust was people’s breath,
inhaling it could lead to death,
then health was a priority
amongst human society.

It seemed that no expense was spared,
and even politicians cared
what happened to the populace,
and this was just miraculous.

For previously, rarely a thing
had been done by them to bring
pollution levels down to where
anyone could say ‘they care’.

But with Coronavirus they
began to worry and to say
that we should be protected from
this new type of virus-bomb.

And so, to stop it spreading round,
the humble mask, it seems has found
a new and welcome role to play
within the culture of the day.

My hope is that our rulers will
not overlook those things that kill
just as much as Covid did,
yet in the past have remained hid.

B. Withers 2020

Little Red

Hey everyone, I found this site and ordered from them something that looks good. Also, if you try different masks, light a candle and with the mask on, try to blow out the candle. If you can, then the mask is not as strong as you want it to be. And if it is not covering your nose and mouth, it would be the same as not wearing one. We all wear our seat belts, it's the law, along with other laws. So, for some, why is it so hard to wear a mask to protect our fellow neighbors, friends, and family? Check out this site. https://www.instashieldusa.com/

lovely

I checked this out and it looks good and a good price. The things I would question is does the side of it rub the skin and will they fog up? You said you ordered some please let me know how they work. My son has to wear a mask at work and these look like they would be better. Best wishes and stay safe.

Bill

Hello Folks. 

I have just sent off for some great looking masks with pictures of wildlife on them. I tried to download the pictures but I'm pretty useless at this technology so that was a failure. However, for those who may be interested to see Dame Judy Dench modelling them, you can find it on http://httpwww.britishwildlifecentre.co.uk 

Best wishes

Bill

PS: It seems that the last link did not work so I'll try another  https://britishwildlifecentre.co.uk/  --- I just tried this and it seems to work - the masks are in the BWC online 'SHOP'. 

lovely

Hi Bill, for some reason I cannot get to this site. Here is one that Lil Red posted and I thought of you. As you are always making and adapting things, you may like it. Best wishes and stay safe.    https://www.instashieldusa.com

Bill

Hello Lovely. 

Thanks for the link. I think this idea is great but I might have difficulty making one for myself without a 3D printer. However, I have two similar devices already fitted to my safety hats. One is for hedge cutting and the other is for dirty jobs that need reasonable vision as well as protection. I am not sure whether they would be suitable for walking around town with as it makes me look as if I have just come off a building site. There are loads of good ideas for making our own face shields on youtube an I may well try one or two of these as soon as I get the time. ( just for the fun of it!)

Best wishes

Bill

Fred383

Hi Bob, not to be rude but the best mask is no mask. I'm a bit of a rebel and refuse to wear a mask except in a medical facility. I sincerely believe that they are ineffective and the rising cases of lung-related problems because of the masks should be a concern. I wash my hands regularly, keep my health up, and never leave my log cabin if I even have an upset stomach. That's the best any of us can do. Remember a mandate is not a law. Laws are passed by the legislature.

Puppyluv56

I was just watching a video on YouTube this evening on how to make a mask that does not fog your glasses. I do not have glasses, well let's say, I have glasses but never wear them. Anyway, I just bought a new sewing machine! Yay! Having fun with it as I have never sewn before. I just might try to make one of the ones in the video. It looks like there is a lot of room in it and fits well over the nose. If I get it done, I will let you know how it works. Looks complicated but I am up for the challenge! Great learning experience.
Pup

lovely

Hope it works out, it sounds good for people with glasses. If it works, maybe you can sell them to help others. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Best wishes and stay safe.

w30bob

Hi Fred,

I'm with you when it comes to the ineffectiveness of masks... but perception is reality. All stores and businesses here will refuse you service if you are not masked up. I'm usually the first one to not follow protocol, but sometimes it's just a lot less trouble to go with the flow. To each his own, obviously.

Later,

Bob

looking forward

Hi Florida, here no masks.