Share Your Stoma Naming Creativity!

Replies
Views
Past Member

I like to think of mine as Stella. Or more accurately
STELLA

Anyone else name theirs?

HenryM

I take it you're a Tennessee Williams fan...  Good choice.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,314 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Yes.. I imagine it like Marlon Brando yelling in the street!

Past Member

Yes.. I imagine it like Marlon Brando yelling in the street!

Zed12

Yes, I have named the lil shit. He's a he and his name is Stan. Why is he a he?

Because men* are arseholes and are full of shit!!

*Not all men, some are good, great, awesome even. I know because I got me an awesome one.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member

Love it

Bill

I have never named my stoma, but if I was coerced into thinking up a suitable name, it would probably be 'Alex' after 'Alex Red' - one of my favourite roses (I like to be distracted from the negativity of it all and think of the more pleasant things in life!) 

Best wishes

Bill

Past Member

I was 26 when I first got mine. I found having a name helpful when in public with friends or at work if I was having an issue & needed to leave or tend to it. It was easier to tell my friends/coworkers Stella was being a jerk and I needed to leave than to tell them my bag was leaking or whatever else may have been happening. Now almost 20 years later it's less of an issue but the name stuck.  

Naming after a rose is a brilliant idea!  

acmcgee33

My stoma's name is Queen Tootles

Past Member

That's awesome!

Past Member

Shortly after my surgery, I named mine Ziggy, because it was made from my sigmoid colon. I don't know why, but I rarely refer to it by name now; just "my ostomy". Maybe that means I have come to accept it as a legitimate part of me, rather than as a separate entity. My friends still call it Ziggy, and tell it to shut up if it gets noisy. I think it makes them more comfortable to have a name to call it.

Laurie

bowsprit

Stella is a lovely name. However, I am guilty of calling mine some not very complimentary things. I think I will call it Capri C'est Fini after the Herve Villard number for obvious reasons, a lot of fun things went out the window since its appearance, or maybe Jezebel or Anna after Anna Karenina. If some female ostomates can give theirs masculine names, then I can assign mine a feminine one! But really, I am not naive enough to not know that it is there because it saved a life. So, let me wait a bit before I call it anything.

Mggy34

I named mine Lucille....then I had to have another surgery...she got bigger and harder to deal with. Now she is Lucinda or some other choice word when she's acting up.

I also had an incision from the first surgery that would not close for months...kept me in the hospital for 6 weeks...I named him George. Thankfully he is gone...he was an a*^hole.

Past Member

My last surgery, the incision couldn't be closed. I had a wound vac. And even after they took that off, it was months before everything closed. I hadn't thought to name the incision, but somehow everyone started calling the wound vac "Goober" because of all the goo in the tubing. He was an asshole too. Kept me up all night with his breathless whispers.  

acmcgee33

When I had my surgery, it took mine a long time to heal. I had a wound in the backside that took months to heal and an incision on my abdomen that kept coming apart, but they both finally healed, thank God!!!

Past Member

WI Girl,

I can relate to having a wound that won't close. My surgical incision took two and a half years to close! The tissue was damaged by radiation (I have an ostomy because of cancer) and it was horrible! I finally found out about hyperbaric oxygen therapy, and that is what made the difference. It finally closed. Whew!

Laurie

Past Member

I'm so glad you found something to help! I can't imagine 2 years with an open incision, I was struggling after about 6 months! 

Past Member

Oh my gosh! My abdomen skin took forever to close around my belly button! It's such a relief when it all finally heals, isn't it?

Past Member

Yeah, I was just about ready to strangle my surgeon with my bare hands. Not really - I actually quite like her, and I know she felt bad for me. All good now, though. Glad you were able to resolve your stubborn incision too.

Laurie

Azdancer
Nurse

Yes, her name is Arsy, (pain in the arse).

Past Member

I named mine Stewart

paulaAZ

I was fortunate in that I knew my surgery was coming 6 months before I had it, and through other boards and talking with others, I decided to name my stoma. I named him "Sheldon, the Super Smart Stoma" after Sheldon on Big Bang Theory. He has definitely lived up to that name, too! Very smart, knows when to give me signs that I have not hydrated well enough before it is too late ... and actually over the years has allowed me to eat pretty much whatever I want (I have an ileostomy).

Paula

Collieflower

My friend named it for me - Louis Vuitton. Get it? Cuz it holds a bag. But my sister likes to call it Stanley. Except I once had a jerk of a boss named Stan, so he's ruined it for me!

Azdancer
Nurse

Where in AZ are you?

paulaAZ

I am in San Tan Valley (Queen Creek area) ... southeast valley.   What about you?/    

Azdancer
Nurse

I'm in North Central Phoenix. My granddaughter lives in Mesa.  

paulaAZ

My oldest daughter and my grandsons live in Gilbert.    

collie123

Mine is called Enigma.

An emergency operation: unplanned.

I call her Enigma because I never know what she will do.

C

JudiA

I have always called mine "the spout"

SharkFan

I named mine Eddie after Eddie Haskell of the old "Leave It to Beaver" show. Eddie was prim, proper, and polite when adults were present, then would cause tons of trouble when alone with friends.

I originally wanted to call it Debbie after the wife in "Everybody Loves Raymond". Cute, small, and sweet until you upset her. She'd then blow her top. The problem with this name is that it's the name of my sister-in-law. My wife didn't see the humor.......

Good luck and health to all,

SharkFan