Looking for Freezable Smoothie Recipes!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Past Member

Anyone have favorite smoothie recipes? Bonus points if they freeze/thaw well for lunch.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

LetsGoGolfing

Hi WIGirl43 - FWIW, here is my go-to daily smoothie that I make mid-mornings: frozen strawberries, low-fat vanilla yogurt, a banana, coconut water, scoop of protein powder. If the strawberry seeds cause you some stomach problems, you can substitute some other fruit. I might mix it up and include blueberries/mango or other fruits that I have in the freezer. I make sure to blend it really well. Yes, I know you can from there add things like kale, spinach or other healthy vegetables, but I don't like my smoothies turning green. LOL. The protein powder helps fill me up so I'm not quite as hungry during the day. And with all things, even though it's a smoothie, I have to drink a lot of water during the day... I'm sure you do too. What type of smoothies are you making?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Hey LGG--thanks for the response! I've been stuck in a smoothie rut and needed some ideas. I've been having lots of choc. protein powder/PBFit/frozen banana/almond milk lately.   To which I also sometimes add other things - yogurt, berries, greens, cauliflower, etc.  

Using frozen banana (if you haven't discovered this) makes it more shake-like, although if thick output is an issue, you may want to avoid that. :) I also really like just whirling frozen banana in a blender until it becomes like soft serve ice cream and then eating it with ice cream toppings like hot fudge or berries and whipped cream--although I try to reserve this for more of a treat to replace actual ice cream.  

Do you find the coconut water helps with hydration?   I feel like that's always a big struggle for me.  

bowsprit

Ok. A smoothie that not only makes you smell nice but is healthy as well. Take 1 and a half cups buttermilk, 1/4 cup water, 2 cups fresh mint leaves, half teaspoon ground cumin, one cup ice cubes, 2 fresh mint sprigs. Make everything dance in a blender, finally adding the ice. Pour into glasses and add the mint sprig to garnish. Cheers. Mint contains a phytonutrient called perillyllalcohol shown in studies on animals to be preventive in the formation of some cancers, it also helps digestion and has some antiseptic properties. Make sure, however, that none of the ingredients disagree with you.

Puppyluv56

I have never been one to make a smoothie! You guys have me really wanting to go make one. I have blueberries galore in the freezer so this may be a project for tomorrow!

Thanks for the great idea!

Puppyluv

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Frozen blueberries are a great ingredient!! Let us know how it turns out! 

xnine

Whatever you have. Bananas (frozen) and cranberry juice as a base. Add frozen mango, frozen pineapple, strawberries, if you can handle them, yogurt. This will freeze.